"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 09-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Enjoying Making Soup

I was quite scared of making soup but recently, in a drive to eat more healthily, I have been making big pots of vegetable soup which others have enjoyed trying.

Today, I picked up two cauliflowers cheap. I made a base of sweated red onion, celery and galangal. Added chopped cauliflower and sweated for a little longer. Added some vegetable stock and simmered. I them used a hand blender to samsh and mix, stirred in some cream and served with chopped chive garnish.

Could some others tell me about their favourite soup?

Old 09-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Master Chef

My favorite is chicken noodle soup, I make it as my mom used to make it. Chicken stock made with chicken neck and thighs,sliced celery, sliced carrots, salt , pepper, onion powder to taste. When the stock is cooked, then I remove the chicken necks and thighs and let it cool enough to shred into small pieces. I remove what I can of the necks , the thighs have lot of meat. While the stock is still boiling, I put the wide egg noodles and the shredded chicken pieces til the noodles are done.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

My favorite is beef barley with mushrooms. It's a delicious almost stew-like combination of mire poix, tomato, sauteed mushrooms, barley and chunks of beef chuck or beef shanks.

Another favorite is black bean soup with andouille sausage.

...then there's sour cream mushroom soup made with portobello mushrooms.

...and Tomato rosemary soup.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
Master Chef

Another "soup whore" here - lol!!! Love, love, LOVE making soup year round, although of course some recipes are more suited to different seasons than others.

Some of my favorites are:

A good Onion Soup Gratinee a la Julia Child - nice deep-colored caramelized onions in a good stock (I use chicken) laced with cognac & sealed with a nice bubbling "crust" of grated Gruyere/Swiss/Parmesan cheeses.

Any of the mixed vegetable soups, including, of course, Minestrone.

Chinese Eggdrop soup & it's many variations, which include not only Chinese, but also Greek, & Italian types. These are light enough to enjoy in the summer.

Bean soups - especially Split Pea (which I make with smoked turkey - either a thigh or turkey kielbasa) & Lentil.

Portuguese Sausage & Kale soup, using turkey kielbasa & either potatoes or white beans.

Seafood soups - particularly different clam chowders & crab bisques.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
Head Chef

yum...soup. I just love all soups (excluding canned)

Breezy, thanks for reminding me about onion soup. Haven't had that in awhile. May have to put that on the menu this week.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

my family love the french onion soup that i make. i also love bean soup used dried beans hamhock.onions,carrots, celery , and a handfull of barley. babe
Old 09-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Oh, I forgot!

Hot and Sour Soup
Split Pea Soup
Navt Bean Soup
French Onion Soup (also a JC recipe)
Old 09-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
Master Chef

I love making soups:vegetable beef, chicken noodle, potato, cabbage, clam chowder, minestrone, and onion are my basics, and I made lentil soup for the first time last winter. Was that ever good!
Actually, I will make soup out of just about anything I have on hand. Once I used some meaty country style ribs, a package of mixed dried beans and a bunch of vegetables. I've put cheese tortellini in my chicken soup, and shredded carrot in my potato soup.

One thing I haven't tried is an Italian style "greens and beans" soup. Have any of you all tried that?
Old 09-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
Master Chef

i am a soup princess!!!
veggie beef especially!!
and miso...

& i got a job by cooking kosher vegan french onion before... nary a clue what a vegan kosher beef-based flavored soup was, try that as a challenge!!! i succeded with a lovely soup!!
kosher, beef-flavored, onion soup.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #10
Master Chef

Oh goodness Andy M. - how could I have forgotten my favorite Hot & Sour Soup!! Another big favorite chock full of terrific things - dried lily buds, dried wood ear & Chinese black mushrooms, shredded chicken, bamboo shoots, etc., etc. One of the best soups around for when you have a head cold.

Tags
None