Enjoying Making Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miniman

Executive Chef
I was quite scared of making soup but recently, in a drive to eat more healthily, I have been making big pots of vegetable soup which others have enjoyed trying.

Today, I picked up two cauliflowers cheap. I made a base of sweated red onion, celery and galangal. Added chopped cauliflower and sweated for a little longer. Added some vegetable stock and simmered. I them used a hand blender to samsh and mix, stirred in some cream and served with chopped chive garnish.

Could some others tell me about their favourite soup?

My favorite is chicken noodle soup, I make it as my mom used to make it. Chicken stock made with chicken neck and thighs,sliced celery, sliced carrots, salt , pepper, onion powder to taste. When the stock is cooked, then I remove the chicken necks and thighs and let it cool enough to shred into small pieces. I remove what I can of the necks , the thighs have lot of meat. While the stock is still boiling, I put the wide egg noodles and the shredded chicken pieces til the noodles are done.

My favorite is beef barley with mushrooms. It's a delicious almost stew-like combination of mire poix, tomato, sauteed mushrooms, barley and chunks of beef chuck or beef shanks.

Another favorite is black bean soup with andouille sausage.

...then there's sour cream mushroom soup made with portobello mushrooms.

...and Tomato rosemary soup.

Another "soup whore" here - lol!!! Love, love, LOVE making soup year round, although of course some recipes are more suited to different seasons than others.

Some of my favorites are:

A good Onion Soup Gratinee a la Julia Child - nice deep-colored caramelized onions in a good stock (I use chicken) laced with cognac & sealed with a nice bubbling "crust" of grated Gruyere/Swiss/Parmesan cheeses.

Any of the mixed vegetable soups, including, of course, Minestrone.

Chinese Eggdrop soup & it's many variations, which include not only Chinese, but also Greek, & Italian types. These are light enough to enjoy in the summer.

Bean soups - especially Split Pea (which I make with smoked turkey - either a thigh or turkey kielbasa) & Lentil.

Portuguese Sausage & Kale soup, using turkey kielbasa & either potatoes or white beans.

Seafood soups - particularly different clam chowders & crab bisques.

yum...soup. I just love all soups (excluding canned)

Breezy, thanks for reminding me about onion soup. Haven't had that in awhile. May have to put that on the menu this week.

Oh, I forgot!

Hot and Sour Soup
Split Pea Soup
Navt Bean Soup
French Onion Soup (also a JC recipe)

I love making soups:vegetable beef, chicken noodle, potato, cabbage, clam chowder, minestrone, and onion are my basics, and I made lentil soup for the first time last winter. Was that ever good!
Actually, I will make soup out of just about anything I have on hand. Once I used some meaty country style ribs, a package of mixed dried beans and a bunch of vegetables. I've put cheese tortellini in my chicken soup, and shredded carrot in my potato soup.

One thing I haven't tried is an Italian style "greens and beans" soup. Have any of you all tried that?

i am a soup princess!!!
veggie beef especially!!
and miso...

& i got a job by cooking kosher vegan french onion before... nary a clue what a vegan kosher beef-based flavored soup was, try that as a challenge!!! i succeded with a lovely soup!!
kosher, beef-flavored, onion soup.

Oh goodness Andy M. - how could I have forgotten my favorite Hot & Sour Soup!! Another big favorite chock full of terrific things - dried lily buds, dried wood ear & Chinese black mushrooms, shredded chicken, bamboo shoots, etc., etc. One of the best soups around for when you have a head cold.

And to the OP, Miniman - don't ever be afraid of trying a new soup. Except for serious oversalting, there are very few things you could possibly due to ruin one. Just experiment & enjoy!

love to make and eat soup

this summer I began making a chicken corn chowder. I like to hot smoke whole chicken over mesquite and hickory. From the carcass carrot celery and onion I make broth. To the broth I add green and wax beans, new potatoes, corn, chard or kale (all fresh veg) and cooked and crumbled spicy chorizo. This has become a favorite.

I also find lentil soup very satisfying. Red lentils are easy to cook and puree well. A pork broth based red lentil soup with sausage and potato added after pureeing is great.

BUt I also love a vegetarian one. Roast parsnips (2 lbs)and onions(1 lrg) together with olive oil salt and pepper 365* F 1 hr. The smell is so good I wonder why I bother to make soup but I do..
gently saute 2 chopped cloves of garlic, and the spices (2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp ground coriander seed, 1/2 tsp black pepper)

Add roasted veg, 3 qts water, 1 lb red lentils (2 cups), the garlic and spices and juice and zest of one lemon and simmer (about 45 min) Puree adjust for salt and pepper and perhaps a bit more lemon.

Smooth and creamy, spicy and delicious, completely vegan!

I eat soup every day for most my life. I thought I was the only one. In making soup and in all cooking there is no end to what you can do. I hate to be a stuck in the mud but chicken noodle is my favorite. Homemade bread goes well with homemade soup.

I love to make soups and start with a freshly made homemade beef or chicken broth...and I go from there (there are several great recipes on how to make good broths on this website)........since living over here I've come to love many Ukrainian and Korean soups..........I guess the long cold winters have something to do with it......I like to make all that's been mentioned so far, too....DH loves split pea soup.......and for bread, a nice hot skillet cornbread......there is also a great Ukrainian bread but there is no hope of making it myself as it needs a hot brick oven.....

Vegetable Tortilla Soup, Yellow Pepper Soup, Chicken Noodle Soup, Romaine (or Spinach) Bean Soup, Carrot Soup, Peasant's Soup, Curry Lentil Soup, Matzoh Ball Soup...

Some of my favorites are French onion (don't mind making this at home since I got a V-slicer), minestrone, chicken noodle, tomato/basil bisque, and what I call hot gazpacho - all the ingredients in gazpacho, except cukes, but all cooked because I don't like raw peppers, onions or garlic; it's good cold, too. And Thai hot and sour soup with shrimp - yum.

Could you make a good soup without using stock?

Sure. Do you have any canned tomatoes or anything? You could use boullion in a pinch as well.

I make a killer tomato based chicken stew/soup that's one of my favorites. Split pea, green pea and mint soup, Bouilliabaisse, red and white clam choudah, classic french onion. Beef stew, chili and goulash are other favs.

Cream of Potato
Cream of chicken and Wild Rice
Corn CHowder
Clam Chowder (not Manhattan style)
French Onion
Homemade Chicken soup w/ DH's dumplings
Split pea
Chili
I could keep going....

My tortilla soup is the biggest hit with my family. I make 2 versions: one with chicken and another with beef. It has lots of veggies, Mexican spices, corn tortillas, and garnished with avocado slices and a blend of Mexican cheeses. Mmmm...I think I'll make that for dinner tonight.

Back
Top Bottom