"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2018, 10:23 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I've heard it referred to as an outboard motor, or just an outboard.
I think Emeril Legasse may have coined the phrase, "boat motor." I know that is what he called an immersion blender.

CD

Old 09-12-2018, 06:42 AM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Oh, so you are from New York, eh?

Soup season here isn't very long, but we do have a brief winter.

CD
Like Hank Jr., "Just send me to hell or NYC, it'd be about the same to me."

Old 09-12-2018, 06:49 AM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Whiska, is it something like Zuppa Tuscana? That's just about my favorite soup of all time and I make mine with white beans rather than potatoes.
Do you throw in any parmesan bones?
Old 09-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #44
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Do you throw in any parmesan bones?
Great stuff! Really kicks the soup up a notch.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I love soups too, and all that you mentioned, Joel. I also have a small freezer, otherwise I'd stock up on stock.

I've been looking around at Home Depot for freezers. I think this is the year that I might splurge and buy either a chest freezer or an upright for the garage.
From someone who had a huge chest freezer and hated it for every minute I had it. You find yourself digging all through it just to find that stock you put in there last year. Go for the upright.

At one time I also had a fridge with the freezer drawer on the bottom. Grant it didn't hold as much, but that was so much easier to find what I wanted. It had a basket on top and you could slide it back to see what was on the bottom. I loved it. It also had a quirk that I just loved. Every time you opened the drawer, a light went on at each side of the freezer drawer. Made it so much easier to find what I wanted.

Just one more thing. My girlfriend had an upright. On the door outside, she would list what she put in, and when she removed something, she crossed it off. I just hate people who are so organized! I always feel very stupid in their presence.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #46
Senior Cook

So grandpa passed a few weeks ago. Makes us realize we don’t see the grandparents as much as we used to. They all like soup but making a big pot is too much do them to get through so they don’t eat it that often ( Campbell soups don’t count obviously). So this fall we’re going to try to get up to see them more often and take them more homemade soup.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #47
Master Chef

I'm sorry for your loss, Kevin. Yes, time does go by way too quickly. I'm sure the grandparents will love you visiting them as often as possible and bringing along some soup. I know I would!
Old 09-23-2018, 07:02 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin86 View Post
So grandpa passed a few weeks ago...
So this fall we’re going to try to get up to see them more often and take them more homemade soup.
Sorry to hear of your loss, Kevin.

About taking soup: Make big pots of soup for yourself as usual, but set aside and freeze the soup you're taking to the grands. I recycle empty 1-quart and 1-pint containers from yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. When the soup cools, put the lid on and tape it down. I then reuse produce bags that I brought things like apples and cukes home with - they are clean, as opposed to lettuce or scallions. Bag the container of soup, tight it off with a knot, and freeze. In no time you could have a nice selection for your "meals on wheels" moment. If the weather is warm, or you'll be driving a distance, a cooler with old juice bottles that have frozen water in them will keep the soup safe for hours and hours and hours...

Make sure you mark what kind of soup is in the tub. Otherwise it will be Soup Surprise. Yup, voice of experience.

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #49
Cook

I recently made a carrot ginger soup. I cooked half the fresh carrots in chicken broth. The other half, I oven roasted with shallots, etc. Then I pureed everything in the food processor.

I added finely minced fresh ginger to the hot soup just before serving. Someone told me to add this ginger this way and I was fantastic. A tangy, fresh ginger flavor.
profnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #50
Senior Cook

Another thing that came up is pumpkin soup. We love some squash soup like butternut etc. But how sweet pumpkin is it makes it more like a dessert soup then a hearty meal soup. Does anyone else think that pumpkin is more of a dessert thing for anyone else.

I know that’s my opinion and don’t care but I’m sure I’m right lol

Tags
soup