Fall Soup season is back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whiska, is it something like Zuppa Tuscana? That's just about my favorite soup of all time and I make mine with white beans rather than potatoes. :yum:

Do you throw in any parmesan bones?

I love soups too, and all that you mentioned, Joel. :yum: I also have a small freezer, otherwise I'd stock up on stock. :)

I've been looking around at Home Depot for freezers. I think this is the year that I might splurge and buy either a chest freezer or an upright for the garage.

From someone who had a huge chest freezer and hated it for every minute I had it. You find yourself digging all through it just to find that stock you put in there last year. Go for the upright.

At one time I also had a fridge with the freezer drawer on the bottom. Grant it didn't hold as much, but that was so much easier to find what I wanted. It had a basket on top and you could slide it back to see what was on the bottom. I loved it. It also had a quirk that I just loved. Every time you opened the drawer, a light went on at each side of the freezer drawer. Made it so much easier to find what I wanted.

Just one more thing. My girlfriend had an upright. On the door outside, she would list what she put in, and when she removed something, she crossed it off. I just hate people who are so organized! I always feel very stupid in their presence.

So grandpa passed a few weeks ago. Makes us realize we don’t see the grandparents as much as we used to. They all like soup but making a big pot is too much do them to get through so they don’t eat it that often ( Campbell soups don’t count obviously). So this fall we’re going to try to get up to see them more often and take them more homemade soup.

I'm sorry for your loss, Kevin. Yes, time does go by way too quickly. I'm sure the grandparents will love you visiting them as often as possible and bringing along some soup. I know I would! :)

So grandpa passed a few weeks ago...
So this fall we’re going to try to get up to see them more often and take them more homemade soup.
Sorry to hear of your loss, Kevin.

About taking soup: Make big pots of soup for yourself as usual, but set aside and freeze the soup you're taking to the grands. I recycle empty 1-quart and 1-pint containers from yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. When the soup cools, put the lid on and tape it down. I then reuse produce bags that I brought things like apples and cukes home with - they are clean, as opposed to lettuce or scallions. Bag the container of soup, tight it off with a knot, and freeze. In no time you could have a nice selection for your "meals on wheels" moment. If the weather is warm, or you'll be driving a distance, a cooler with old juice bottles that have frozen water in them will keep the soup safe for hours and hours and hours...

Make sure you mark what kind of soup is in the tub. Otherwise it will be Soup Surprise. :ermm: Yup, voice of experience. :LOL:

I recently made a carrot ginger soup. I cooked half the fresh carrots in chicken broth. The other half, I oven roasted with shallots, etc. Then I pureed everything in the food processor.

I added finely minced fresh ginger to the hot soup just before serving. Someone told me to add this ginger this way and I was fantastic. A tangy, fresh ginger flavor.

Another thing that came up is pumpkin soup. We love some squash soup like butternut etc. But how sweet pumpkin is it makes it more like a dessert soup then a hearty meal soup. Does anyone else think that pumpkin is more of a dessert thing for anyone else.

I know that’s my opinion and don’t care but I’m sure I’m right lol

I make my pumpkin soup with chicken broth, chili powder and cumin, a healthy dose of salt and heavy cream. It's not sweet...

Another thing that came up is pumpkin soup. We love some squash soup like butternut etc. But how sweet pumpkin is it makes it more like a dessert soup then a hearty meal soup. Does anyone else think that pumpkin is more of a dessert thing for anyone else.

I know that’s my opinion and don’t care but I’m sure I’m right lol
That dessert taste is probably more from the spices used, those ubiquitous pumpkin pie spices that find their way into everything around this time of year! Also, if you have kabocha (Japanese pumpkin, it’s small, green, and more savory than the orange pumpkin), try it! Don’t use “pumpkin spices,” or at least choose just one or two and leave the rest in the spice rack. Hit the soup with some smoked paprika, or some curry powder, and if you like it a bit spicy, add some cayenne or red pepper flakes. And roast the seeds with a bit of salt and olive oil til they’re golden brown to garnish the soup. There are a lot of other things you can do to avoid a soup that tastes like pumpkin pie! I’m sure you’ll figure it out!

I just made fresh spinach and mushroom soup. Yum!

Cooked spinach, mushrooms, beef broth, shallots, olive oil, pepper, lemon juice then pureed in food processor.

Ladled into bowl then topped with grated parmesan.

Sometimes I garnish with sour cream instead of parmesan.

My parents allready have snow and we saw snowflakes in the wind today.

I am making a lot of stews, trying keep my self warm and happy.

Not soup season, yet... here. Actually, not gumbo and chili season here... yet. We will get there. But, probably at least another month.

CD

Every season is soup season for me.
My wife isn't crazy about soup, but i can eat it every meal.
Nothing excites me more than when i go to a restaurant and they have both soup and salad.
( Im simple).
cant wait to get back home and cook up some soup

I just made fresh spinach and mushroom soup. Yum!

Cooked spinach, mushrooms, beef broth, shallots, olive oil, pepper, lemon juice then pureed in food processor.

Ladled into bowl then topped with grated parmesan.

Sometimes I garnish with sour cream instead of parmesan.

Do you puree it to a smooth consistency ? or is it still a little chunky ?

Just curious

I'd think that blended mushroom and spinach soup is a really funky color. Wouldn't bother me if it tastes good, but just curious.

I mae a soup called " Spinach - Malanga soup.
Similar to the above and yes, it is not the most appetizing color, but its one of my favorites and relatively simpler.

I dont have access to the recipe at the moment, but Ill describe it below:

The basic ingredients are Malanga ( I think Coco Malanga to be exact, which is like a variety of a sweet potato ( possibly African in origin) has dark brown skin and a white streaked inside ( similar to taro), Spinach cooked and blended up, but not to a smooth puree consistency, but to the point where there are relatively small pieces floating around, Mushroom powder, Finely broken up dried mushroom pieces ( like the size of barley). What I do is make my own mushroom powder from the mushrooms that get pushed to the back of the fridge, and get rediscover when they are dried out. I put them in the blender. I then sift the blended dried mushrooms and collect the powder , and save the little pieces that were to big to sift out. I store them separately and use as above . I also use these two items in mushroom barley soup. Garlic and I think that may be it. Oh yeah, almost forgot the Olive Oil

-The malanga is peeled and cubed
-Spinach is cooked and blended but not to the point of puree. ( could use chopped from the store, or just chop yourself and toss it in to let it cook in the soup.
Garlic is minced

Mushroom powder and pieces are reconstitute with a few 1/2 cup of hot water
Olive oil brought up to heat
Garlic goes in for a minute or so
Malanga goes inspiring around a bit.
* I find this potato breaks down relatively easy, which is no big deal as it thickens the soup, but something to look out for, as you do want some intact potato pieces as the final product. Id also probably use a non stick pot so the potato doesnt stick and break down more quickly
Add water ( or broth, I forget), the spinach, reconstituted mushroom powder and pieces and S&P.
Cook until potatoes are done.
* The malanga almost has a chestnut-like taste to it. Not overly sweet, with a unique flavor.

But, since similar ingredients to the Spinach Mushroom soup, I would assume the color of mine is similar to the color of the other sop as well. It definitely has a muddy like appearance, but a unique flavor. Spinach being dark green, and the mushroom - liquid is brownish. the whitish color of the potatoes may lighten it up a bit as it breaks down, but still has the color and look of what you may find in a babies diaper :ROFLMAO: ( possibly same consistency too).

Well, now that I made my soup sound so appetizing, Im sure you're all going to go out and try it :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom