Favorite "Under-The-Weather" Soups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
The onion soup thread, where I posted that I'll sometimes make myself an "individual" portion of onion soup when I'm feeling a bit under the weather got me to thinking what everyone else's favorite "under-the-weather" soups are.

In addition to individual onion soup, I also like to make myself an individual serving of "Garlic Soup" when I feel a cold coming on. I just saute 3-4 whole cloves of peeled garlic in some extra-virgin olive oil until they're lightly browned, then remove them to my soup bowl where I mash them up a bit with a fork. I then saute a slice or 2 of bread (french bread is best, but I've sometimes used plain old white bread) in the garlic oil left in the saucepan & when that's toasted, I break it up & add that to the garlic in the bowl. I then add a cup or so of chicken broth to the saucepan & allow that to heat up. A beaten egg is then stirred in & the whole mess is poured over the garlic & bread in the bowl. Really hits the spot on a cold day or when/if a cold is coming on.

And since my husband said this morning he feels a cold coming on, I'm planning on making a nice big pot of everything-but-the-kitchen-sink vegetable/minestrone-type soup for dinner tonight. That's another under-the-weather favorite.

So guys - what are your favorites for when the sniffles come knocking at your door?

lol uncle bob, good one. yes, in my book.

i'm more of a stew person in the wintertime: daube provencal, veal stew, boeuf bourguignon, irish ham/kale/potato stew, goulash, chowdahs, etc.

as far as soups go: regular ol' chicken noodle, chicken and rice with cilantro, tom yum, escarole e fagiole, italian wedding, minestrone, split pea, roasted veggie, cioppino/zuppa di pesce, caldo gallego, miso, seaweed eggdrop ...

there's just too many to remember right now.

Oh, & I should have added to my original post that I'm most interested in soups you guys throw together quickly because you're "under the weather".

I don't know about you, but when I have a bad cold or similar bug, the last place I want to be is standing over the stove or doing a lot of chopping, etc.

Breezy, I learned long ago that I NEED to have soup regularly. So I always have some chicken soup in the freezer and for me, I just grab and thaw when I'm feeling icky. I toss in some cous cous or a package of those ramen noodles if I need it to be quick, but thats it for me.

oops, sorry breezy. i see that you did mean soups for when you're sick. i was thinking cold weather soups.

ok, ditto on all of my answers, except that i get them take out. :)

If it's cold and miserable I go for my French Onion Gratin or Sichuan Mapo DouFu (more of a stir-fried stew).

If it's more temperate I'll make a batch of Miso with some Shiitakes and Scallions or Double Chicken Broth with Noodles & Chives.

I tend to like more of a brothy soup than a creamy one, so when I was ill with pneumonia and had 4 little ones to watch, my mother-in-law came to help for a weekend and made a small pot of the soup she use to make her boys. Just chicken stock or broth,some pastina, get nice and hot, beat up an egg and slowly stir it into the hot soup..then a little salt and a piece of toast on the side. I lived on that for days. Quick, easy, fast to do..loved it and still do.
kadesma:)

Yes - fast egg-drop is another good one. I'll just heat up some Swanson's chicken broth & stir a beaten egg into it. A few drops of soy sauce if I'm up to it & I'm all set.

One can also do the same thing for an impromptu "wonton" if one has a bag of frozen potstickers in the freezer. Just heat up some chicken broth, toss in a few frozen potstickers, & simmer until they're cooked thru. You can also add a beaten egg to this as well - sort of an eggdrop/wonton combo. Quick, easy, & great when you have a cold coming on.

nearly forgot, Muligatawny (pepper water [trans]) is another fave too, there used to be a shop by us that sold it for 19 pence a tin, and it was great! they got closed and I`ve never seen it in tins since, and never been able to replicate it faithfully either :(

Chicken soup, I have some in the freezer all the time. I make a bunch
at one time and freeze in single portions. With 5 of us at home it
comes in very handy and makes you feel all warm inside, and better.
When the last serving is gone you can be sure to catch me in the kitchen
as soon as I can making another batch.

I would have to add baked potatoe soup is my favorite but that is
another subject.

I recently tried giada's pasta e fagioli. It was very good.

A variation on the traditional french onion soup that's good is Martha Stewart's 7 onion soup. You use red, white, yellow and pearl onions with leeks, shallots and chives.

kadesma, My Mom did what your mother-in-law did. I do it today. It still works.

Back
Top Bottom