Favorite Vegetable Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Goodweed of the North said:
Just tried DD's soup. With the hint of ginger mingling with each spoonful of rustic veggies, this soup is really, really good. It is low sodium (compared to canned soups) to boot. The soup is so flavorful that you don't miss the salt at all. In fact, it's better because there is minimal salt. All of the fresh flavors come through. Be forewarned though. It does have a spicy kick, though it has no hot peppers in it. P.A.G. thinks it comes from the ginger. I'm not sure where it comes from. But it sure is good. Thanks for a great lunch DDOM (dear daughter of mine):D.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I made it a little differently from the recipe posted. The one posted has no heat and a slightly milder flavor. This time around I added parsnips and used fresh ginger, italian parsley and basil in addition to lesser amounts of the dried ginger, parsley and basil. I've done this before and find it adds depth to the whatever I'm making, since there are subtle differences between the flavors of the fresh and dried seasonings. I made a double batch so I'd have a bunch to freeze and added a really good size chunk of ginger, about 1 1/2" wide x 1" tall x 3 1/2" long.

So many good soup recipes. I'm going to love these when the snow comes, or even in the cooler temps of fall, and I want something warm and comforting. Thanks for all the replies!

My favourite is Barszcz ( polish beet soup )

knob of butter
6 large beets grated
1 onion grated
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp white grape vinegar
small handful of chopped dill weed or marjoram
1 pint of sour cream
1 and a half quarts chicken or veg stock

Saute onion lightly in the butter. Add stock and beets and cook for 30 mins. Add salt, pepper , vinegar and herbs. Cook till tender. Serve with a swirl of sour cream.

OK, I need to know, are fresh beets a completely different animal than canned beets (and yes, I know they're a vegetable not an animal, it's a saying I picked up from dad). To me, canned beets taste like sweetened soil and pickled beets taste like sweet and sour soil. Blech. If I wanted that flavor I could just face plant into the ground with a mouth full of sugar. Although, admittedly, eating beets is probably less painful than that. I'd really like to like beets since they are supposed to have a bunch of good nutrients in them, but...

OK, I need to know, are fresh beets a completely different animal than canned beets (and yes, I know they're a vegetable not an animal, it's a saying I picked up from dad). To me, canned beets taste like sweetened soil and pickled beets taste like sweet and sour soil. Blech. If I wanted that flavor I could just face plant into the ground with a mouth full of sugar. Although, admittedly, eating beets is probably less painful than that. I'd really like to like beets since they are supposed to have a bunch of good nutrients in them, but...

Fresh beats are better by far! Go for good organic beets, with beets it makes a huge difference. Some beets do taste sandy but if you buy good beets they are fab! Try some beets cooked till really tender with a splash of balsamic and Olive oil or soup!
I love organic beetroot juice but not homemade. I buy from Woolworths but Marks and Spencers also have a good one.

Pea Soup, hands down!

SPLIT PEA SOUP

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
10 cups chicken stock, water, or combination
2 smoked ham hocks or 1 ham bone (optional)
2 medium potatoes, diced
1 bay leaf
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 pound dried green or yellow split peas
fresh ground pepper to taste
salt to taste

1. In a 6½- to 8-quart stockpot, melt butter in olive oil; add
carrots, celery and onion and saute over medium heat
until softened.

2. Add garlic and cumin and cook for one minute more.

3. Add the stock and/or water, ham hocks or ham bone (if
using), potatoes, bay leaf, thyme, and soy sauce, and turn
heat to high.

4. Rinse peas and pick them over to remove any foreign
matter, then add to pot. Bring to boil, lower heat to
simmer, and continue cooking, partially covered, until the
peas are very tender and falling apart, about 90 minutes.

5. Remove the bay leaf and discard; remove ham hocks or
ham bone, shred any meat, discarding any gristle or fat,
and set aside.

6. If desired, puree the soup in a food processor, food mill, or
blender, or with an immersion blender (note: if soup is
cooked long enough, this may not be necessary).

7. Return shredded ham to pot; add salt and pepper to taste;
serve hot (note: pea soup is often better the next day).

Serves 6 to 8.

I also have a couple of friends who make great gazpacho. But my favorite is split pea. Mine is very similar to scotch's, below, although I've never put in the soy. Maybe I'll try it next time!

I will say that if you're going for vegan rather than just vegetable, roast some vegetables over some coals. Zuchini (courgettes) eggplants (aubergines), onions, etc. They will get a lovely smoked flavor. Puree and add to the water/split pea mixture.

Many of your hoo-ha gotta have meat friends will not believe that you didn't toss in a ham bone!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom