Favorite Vegetable Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple.alien.giraffe

Executive Chef
What is your favorite vegetable soup recipe? Here is mine.

-8 cups (2 qt) mild chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
-1/2 each sweet red, yellow and orange bell pepper (diced)
-8 oz. mushrooms (diced)
-3 to 4 stalks celery with leafy part (sliced, and yes the leafy part is important)
-1/2 medium leak (sliced)
-1 medium yellow onion (diced)
-3 or 4 garlic cloves (minced)
-2 large carrots with peal on (sliced, make sure to scrub them well)
-2 roughly tennis ball size tomatoes (diced)
-4 cups large leaf fresh spinach (chopped, baby spinach works if it's all you can find)
-3 tsp dried basil
-3 tsp dried parsley
-1/4 tsp ground dried ginger
-1/4 tsp ground coriander
-1/2 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients except spinach in soup pan/stock pot. Bring to a rolling boil. Reduce to low boil and cook with lid on 10 min. Add spinach and cook with lid another 10 min.

Your soup sounds wonderful and is on my list to make. May I ask would it be ok to use fresh basil and the other herb as aI have them coming out my ears in my herb patch.
kadesma:)

Oh yes, fresh herbs work really well. This was the original method I used and then I experimented with fresh herbs after. I'm more familiar with the dried so I usually start there and then test with fresh.

Oh yes, fresh herbs work really well. This was the original method I used and then I experimented with fresh herbs after. I'm more familiar with the dried so I usually start there and then test with fresh.
Thanks for the help and this will be made sooner. DH loves a veggie soup as do I can hardly wait. Maybe friday or sat. thanks again
kades

mine is my friend/coworker's gazpacho. he calls it gazpacho de hunky dorey, as his last name is dorey.

i'll see if i can find it later.

My vegetable or vegetable beef soups are ad libs. I start with either chicken or vegetable stock and then begin dicing and adding whatever fresh vegetables I have on hand. Fresh herbs and spices are added as I feel the need, and then the whole thing is simmered for about half an hour... no more, and sometimes less.

My experience has been that the freshest taste comes from a minimum of cooking. Simmering or boiling for more than 30 minutes muddles the flavors and turns the vegetables into a distasteful mush.

Neither do I use canned vegetables... ever! And I only use frozen if I have no other choice.

What I strive for is to be able to distinctly taste every vegetable in each spoonful without being overpowered by herbs or spices.

My vegetable or vegetable beef soups are ad libs. I start with either chicken or vegetable stock and then begin dicing and adding whatever fresh vegetables I have on hand. Fresh herbs and spices are added as I feel the need, and then the whole thing is simmered for about half an hour... no more, and sometimes less.

My experience has been that the freshest taste comes from a minimum of cooking. Simmering or boiling for more than 30 minutes muddles the flavors and turns the vegetables into a distasteful mush.

Neither do I use canned vegetables... ever! And I only use frozen if I have no other choice.

What I strive for is to be able to distinctly taste every vegetable in each spoonful without being overpowered by herbs or spices.

I've had the same experience. I can't say I never use canned or frozen vegetables. I've used canned green beans and corn, and various beans (kidney, red, great northern, etc.). I've also used a variety of frozen vegetables, especially in the winter when it's harder to find fresh, or when I'm not feeling well and really want soup but just can't manage the effort. In the latter case I find a carton of ready made chicken broth and a bag of frozen soup veggies to be so preferable to a canned vegetable soup and still pretty tasty. Soups are definitely better with fresh vegetables but sometimes good enough is good enough for me.

Curried Parsnip Soup made by my OH's dad is the most amazing soup I've ever tasted!! I will get the recipe and post. It is amazing reminds me of BBQ and bonfire night! I think it's pretty much just; parsnips, some onions, a little stock and curry powder. But I'll double check :P

That and The New Covent Garden's Co's Winter Vegetable... ah, good times.

Just tried DD's soup. With the hint of ginger mingling with each spoonful of rustic veggies, this soup is really, really good. It is low sodium (compared to canned soups) to boot. The soup is so flavorful that you don't miss the salt at all. In fact, it's better because there is minimal salt. All of the fresh flavors come through. Be forewarned though. It does have a spicy kick, though it has no hot peppers in it. P.A.G. thinks it comes from the ginger. I'm not sure where it comes from. But it sure is good. Thanks for a great lunch DDOM (dear daughter of mine):D.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Curried Parsnip Soup made by my OH's dad is the most amazing soup I've ever tasted!! I will get the recipe and post. It is amazing reminds me of BBQ and bonfire night! I think it's pretty much just; parsnips, some onions, a little stock and curry powder. But I'll double check :P

That and The New Covent Garden's Co's Winter Vegetable... ah, good times.

Sound great, right up my ally! I make a white sweet potato and garam masala soup, sounds like this may have a similar taste. I will try the parsnip when you post the recipe for sure!

My soups are like my chili... ad lib. I use whatever is available from the refrigerator, and I add spices by the pinch rather than by the measuring spoon.

Yeah, my veggie soups, minestrones, etc., tend to be ad lib too. Pretty much "everything but the kitchen sink" kind of affairs. I've yet to have one turn out badly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom