"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 08-10-2008, 05:52 AM   #11
Head Chef

The best clam chowder I've made is Jasper White's recipe. You may still be able to find it on the Food Network site. It calls for salt pork, no carrots, and I wish I had it handy, or I'd send it on. Good luck with whatever one you try. You've got me wanting to make some soon.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:06 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Lefse, I could see acid in the red one (New Englanders don't consider it chowder) but never in the creamy white one. the acid would curdle the cream, no?

Old 08-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Lefse, I could see acid in the red one (New Englanders don't consider it chowder) but never in the creamy white one. the acid would curdle the cream, no?
isn't there acid in pasta bolognese, I know it's tomato based, there's an acid right there, but then, it calls for wine, either color and then milk or cream, it doesn't curdle.
I think soon, I'll make one and find out. Again, now I'm on a mission, heck if it doesn't work, it'll show me I don't know all there is to know about cooking...I've only touched the bare surface.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #14
Head Chef

I think that red wine vinegar would give the chowder an undesirable color. Even in this small quantity. I would, and do, use sherry in most cream and cheese dishes. Imparts a depth of flavor without overpowering.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Well, so far, y'all have me eating my words, meaning you're all correct.
I have tattered fingers turning pages in my cookbooks and typing different words in the computer to find one with an acid. Also, many [not all] do ask or call for a smokey meat of bacon or ham or something like that.
Although it's not vinegar or lemon juice, I did find this, is wine an acid?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #16
Executive Chef

seeking out recipes and found this, wine and lemon juice
Old 08-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
seeking out recipes and found this, wine and lemon juice
That recipe made me laugh! After living in Boston for 11 years, and eating numerous clam chowders, that one takes it to new levels of "how complex can you make something so simple!"

Wolfgang Puck is a wonderful chef, but that recipe is ridiculous (IMHO!)

for authentic chowder, try Jasper White, Lydia Shire, someone who knows New England Cooking. Shoooooot! The Fannie Farmer Cookbook!
Old 08-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

While some people may or may not agree with me on this. I always add some dill weed to my clam chowder when I am cooking it. It makes the entire kitchen smell like dill but it only adds just a little hint of dill into the chowder. Just gives it that extra Oomph that I look for.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:14 AM   #19
Executive Chef

as I said there are as many chowders as there are cooks. I'll be very happy to try yours and I hope you'll taste mine. :)

(fwiw: the "water" clams are packed in is not clam juice. clam juice is a broth made from big clams leftovers that are squeezed and cooked and squeezed again. it is not homogenized so always shake up the bottle.)
Old 08-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
That recipe made me laugh! After living in Boston for 11 years, and eating numerous clam chowders, that one takes it to new levels of "how complex can you make something so simple!"

Wolfgang Puck is a wonderful chef, but that recipe is ridiculous (IMHO!)

for authentic chowder, try Jasper White, Lydia Shire, someone who knows New England Cooking. Shoooooot! The Fannie Farmer Cookbook!
silly as it sounds, my point in my search was to at least try and find something with acids so I wouldn't think my mind is totally lost in space.
ok, Fannie's upstairs, I'm going to go get her and read her recipe.

Tags
None