Freezing Mushroom Barley Soup Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So everyone told me that they wanted mushroom barley soup this week. So I made a large batch, and sure enough, everyone wanted something else.

The total was about 4 quarts, and it hadd about 1/4 cup of cream in it.

Will it freeze/ defrost ok ?

larry

So everyone told me that they wanted mushroom barley soup this week. So I made a large batch, and sure enough, everyone wanted something else.

The total was about 4 quarts, and it hadd about 1/4 cup of cream in it.

Will it freeze/ defrost ok ?

larry
I've frozen it many times. The barley gets a bit mushy, but I like it that way--the cream might separate--I've never added cream so can't say, but I do know that happens with other cream soups. When I know I'm going to freeze a cream soup, I will either puree the veggies to thicken the soup or use evaporated milk.

I usually don't add cream either, but the mushroom stock was a little too intense, so I needed to tone it down a bit without screwing up the consistency. Tastes great, just way to much for one person to eat before it spoils.

I usually don't add cream either, but the mushroom stock was a little too intense, so I needed to tone it down a bit without screwing up the consistency. Tastes great, just way to much for one person to eat before it spoils.
I hear you (way too much). I would thaw it overnight in the fridge and maybe remove some and swirl it with the immersion blender if the cream separates. I love barley in soup. I love barley by itself. I have fallen in love with purple barley--it takes about 90 minutes to cook after having been soaked for about 48 hours. But, if you plan it, it is lovely. It doesn't get mushy or slimy.

I'd give my sage advice on freezing it, but I'd have to see you recipe first.

Though I might not really have any sage advice, I am just trying to get your recipe.

Back
Top Bottom