French Onion Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to agree about long cooking, onions melt. So I personally cook a portion of the onions for a long time, not nearly 5 hours, and then cook the rest of them so I do have onions that “melted” and some that are still in tact.

kitchenelf said:
It clearly says who and when edited your post at the bottom. It was probably edited for spelling - I know I edited one of yours because I thought a "bowl" sounded better than a "bowel" (giggling) when talking about food! lol

Don't take offense to any editing - it helps with the search engines

Good work Elf! I wouldn't want to see a post with bowel.

Charlile - thanks for the sugar tip - that's what I do with my shallots in my Spicy Fish Stew when they smell bitter while cooking. I'll have to give yellow onions another try - I haven't used them in about 8 or 9 years because of the bitterness.

LOL chocalate chef - no, it wasn't very appetizing!!!

Im a die hard yellow onion fan its the cooking technique that makes them sweet from being caramelized it takes forever where I live due to the high elevation no sugar no nothing cook them until they are almost burnt then be sure to deglaze pan as that is where the flavor is, use a really good strong beef stock.Then let it simmer and add white wine or some sherry,a little thyme and salt and pepper to taste and simmer some more.Some times I even take the onion skins and make a stock with those to add to soup.

What it really boils down to is personal preferrence.:chef:
I also think its much better the next day. And of course have the best croutons and swiss you can get.I make my own croutons that are soo good.
Also you need a ton of onions as they cook down to nothing they will swell back up after adding to stock but I like lots of onions.
I dont understand why almost every recipe Ive seen says to cook them till golden brown the trick is to cook them till they are sticky and dark brown hence the flavor comes from the really cooking the onions dont be afraid to really cook those onions and cook alot.If you think you made too many save them and put them on a burger or sandwich.Yummy!

Holy man! I am drooling and craving french onion soup at 930 in the morning! Guess I know what I am having for dinner!

Thanks for the tips all. I tend to do the caramelizing and then add more in later too. I like to have both textures in my onion soup.

Opps!I almost forgot if your going to take the time and trouble to make this great soup you might as well make a huge batch because you can freeze some in several batches.Let thaw and heat up its just as good and saves time.:)

jpmcgrew said:
Opps!I almost forgot if your going to take the time and trouble to make this great soup you might as well make a huge batch because you can freeze some in several batches.Let thaw and heat up its just as good and saves time.:)

Hm, why didn’t I think of doing that. I usually freeze all my soups, but never tried with onion, I definitely will do that next time. As I have a big family (thank G-d) I always cook a lot but unfortunately about half of the time kids don’t want to eat it. So I freeze stuff, but onion soup I was afraid wasn’t going to taste good. I’m glad you mention that.

Same thing happens to me CharlieD, I cook things but the kids don't always want to eat it, or even try it! I get funny little faces and try to play along with them. Most of the time I can get them to try it, but there are those "no-way, mommay" times. :LOL:

:heart:, thanks pdswife! They think you are very special also!

CharlieD, I'm sure your kids are very cute also and we Mom's love our babies, but mine really ARE the cutest girls in the world. :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: LeeAnn, you see this is a diference "you mom love your babies" we dada are very honest and objective about them. so, let me tell you for sure it is my girls that are the cutest ones. :mrgreen:

I freeze leftover onion soup all the time. It makes a wonderful base for dishes like stroganof and boef bourgonion as well as just being a good all around soup. When there are a group to dinner, I don't broil the soup, I take the rounds of french bread, top with gruyere or emmanthal (or a good local aged swiss), broil them, and put in a big basket, People seem to like it almost as much as the cheese encrusted restaurant version -- you put the toasted cheese bread in your bowl and spoon the soup over. Maybe not quite as much fun, but much easier on the cook when you've got 2 or 3 more courses to deal with. It's a family affair for us -- I make stock, husband makes the soup, I finish up the croutons. And my husband says to tell you he has no admiration for those of us who can only spell a word one way!

Claire said:
I freeze leftover onion soup all the time. It makes a wonderful base for dishes like stroganof and boef bourgonion as well as just being a good all around soup. When there are a group to dinner, I don't broil the soup, I take the rounds of french bread, top with gruyere or emmanthal (or a good local aged swiss), broil them, and put in a big basket, People seem to like it almost as much as the cheese encrusted restaurant version -- you put the toasted cheese bread in your bowl and spoon the soup over. Maybe not quite as much fun, but much easier on the cook when you've got 2 or 3 more courses to deal with. It's a family affair for us -- I make stock, husband makes the soup, I finish up the croutons. And my husband says to tell you he has no admiration for those of us who can only spell a word one way!

I love the way your husband thinks. Next time my husband teases me for my lack of spelling skill.. I'll tell him I'm smarter than him because I know MANY MANY different ways to spell the silly words!

Sorry CharlieD, I didn't mean anything gender specific about that (even though I did write it :) ). How about this, I'll give you the pleasure of having the cutest girls in Minnesota, and I'll take the rest of the world! There, that should work out fine! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom