French Onion Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

[BMF] Chris

Assistant Cook
you will need-

about 4 YELLOW onions
A.N Salt and pepper
4oz unsalted Butter
4 1/2 cups beef stock(aprox)
A.N flour
A.N olive oil, EVO perferably
A.N gruyere cheese, or swiss

SACHET-
4 spring FRESH THYME
2 bay leaves
6 peppercorns

1 french baguette

for the soup, cut the onions into a french slice, put in pan with 4 oz of butter, cook on LOW, super low heat for about 5 hours, they may be done at 4:30 depending on your slice, and heat, but be sure to stir them about every 15 min.

for croutons, slice bread 1/2 an inch thick, dab both sides with olive oil,then salt, put in 350 degree over, and they are done when the center of the bread is hard 5-10 min?

once done, drain excess butter (now clarified) into a bowl or something, this can be used as a salad dressing, or used to cook other meats. add a light sprinkle of flour in the pan, cook on meduim heat for 1-2 min, then add stock, and a sachet (the thyme, bay leaves, and peppercorns) and let simmer for 1 hour, season to taste, and put into frig and let sit overnight to marry the flavors.

the next day, heat soup back up, set your oven to as hot as it goes, like broil? taste seasoning again, place in ceramic bowl, place down 2 crutons, top with shredded gruyere or swiss cheese, put bowl on pan, place into oven, until cheese melts and starts to brown, pull out, and eat, caution, bowl will be hot, so place on a plate, i also suggest making as many croutons as possible, they are so yummy to dip in the soup

oh yes, a sachet is when you take cheese cloth, put in your herbs or whatever, bay leaves, peppercorns, then you tie it up, and have a lil bag of seasoning you put in the soup, this makes removing every easier than a hide and seek game.

enjoy people-

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
[BMF] Chris said:
you will need-

about 4 YELLOW onions
A.N SAlt and pepper
4oz unsalted Butter
about 4 1/2 cups beef stock
A.N flour
A.N olive olive, EVO perferably
A.N gureye cheese, or swiss, if your cheap

SACHET-
4 spring FRESH THYME
2 bay leaves
6 peppercorns

1 french bagget

for the soup, cut the onions into a french slice, put in pan with 4 oz of butter, cook on LOW, super low heat for about 5 hours, they may be done at 4:30 depending on your slice, and heat, but be sure to stir them about every 15 min.

for crutons, slice bread 1/2 an inch thick, dab both sides with olive oil,then salt, put in 350 degree over, and they are done when the center of the bread is hard 5-10 min?

once done, drain excess butter (now clarrified) into a bowl or something, this can be used as a salad dressing, or used to cook other meats. add a light sprinkle of flour in the pan, cook on meduim heat for 1-2 min, then add stock, and a sachet (the thyme, bay leaves, and peppercorns) and let simmer for 1 hour, season to taste, and put into frig and let sit overnight to marry the flavors.

the next day, heat soup back up, set your oven to as hot as it goes, like broil? taste seasoning again, place in ceramic bowl, place down 2 crutons, top with shredded grueye or swiss cheese, put bowl on pan, place into oven, until cheese melts and starts to brown, pull out, and eat, caution, bowl will be hot, so place on a plate, i also suggest making as many crutons as possible, there so badass to dip in the soup

oh yes, a sachet is when you take cheese cloth, put in your herbs or whatever, bay leaves, peppercorns, then you tie it up, and have a lil bag of seasoning you put in the soup, this makes removing every easier than a hide and seek game.

enjoy people-

Chris

What is "A.N ......."?

Chris - I find yellow onions very bitter for some reason. In my French Onion I love to use white onion, red onion, and leeks. A bit of Port wine and Burgundy (as long as it's only about 1/3 cup of each) adds a wonderful layer of flavor.

because its the type of onion they are, each has different traits, by cooking it for 5 hours it turns really sweet, almost candy like, i dont know if you get the same effect with other onions, just be sure to look for any green spots on the onion, thats where youll find bitterness, but yea, it gives it a real nice flavor, as far as the alcohol goes, yea, i could see deglazing with something like that, youve got all that onion fawn on the bottom, and its pure gold waiting to be picked up, maybe even like marsala would be nice, i dunno, i eat onion soup for onion taste, adding alcohol makes alot of things better, but im going for the onion flavor, and i dont want it mixed with anything, props to the idea though, if only i was old enough to actually buy alcohol........... a year to go.......

It clearly says who and when edited your post at the bottom. It was probably edited for spelling - I know I edited one of yours because I thought a "bowl" sounded better than a "bowel" (giggling) when talking about food! lol

Don't take offense to any editing - it helps with the search engines

rofl Chris - There are a couple of us here that get chills up our spines from what you take pride in. LOL Occasionally we will correct a few words. I misspell myself when my fingers run over each other when typing - I've probably been edited too - I just don't pay attention!

ive got waaaaay too much cooking information in my head to have any room left on how to spell all this stuff........

kitchenelf said:
rofl Chris - There are a couple of us here that get chills up our spines from what you take pride in. LOL Occasionally we will correct a few words. I misspell myself when my fingers run over each other when typing - I've probably been edited too - I just don't pay attention!

Pleese pheel prree too phix my spalling meestakees ani thyme ewed lick two.

Last edited by a moderator:
[BMF] Chris said:
ive got waaaaay too much cooking information in my head to have any room left on how to spell all this stuff........

Then fortunately for all those people Googling to find recipes you will have me following you around to correct your more egregious mistakes. Don't consider it a criticism, consider it bettering your recipe. A criticism would be if I removed your thread.

amber said:
Wow, does it really take 5 hours on low heat to cook the onions?

No. After the onions are carmelized, you add the liquid and simmer. You need to cook it for a while to infuse the broth with oniony-ness, but I have never cooked mine for 5 hours. 1-2 hours will do, fine. I have even simmered for less than an hour and the soup turned out great.

amber - I cooked mine for about 5 hours ONE time - didn't really have any onions left so speak of - they "melted" - I will NEVER do that again! lol Had a great flavor but part of onion soup is like - slurping up the onions! lol

Erik - I love my onion soup with a variety of onions - red, leeks, and white - Burgundy and Port - a combination of chicken and beef stock - I will have to try your beer version. I love the smoothness of the two stocks used together.

Back
Top Bottom