French onion soup, chunky?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I am planning to make a quick onion soup tonight.

Boxed beef broth

caramelized onions that I make in my slowcooker and are in the freezer.

a few cloves garlic?

Then cook a while.

Question, Do I serve this with onion chunks in it, Or do I strain the soup ?

I have cheese and bread for topping, but as I really planning more of French Dip sandwich thing, I may skip the topping.

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

I usually serve my Onion soup chunky. That being said, I've learned over the years ( the hard way) to make sure the onions aren't cut too long. Sometimes, when eating hot soup with longer onion pieces in it, the hot long onion piece kinda doesn't go all the way in, and hangs on your lip ( burning it). So now , when Im preparing my onions, I make sure they aren't too long. I personally like fishing around for the onion pieces :)

We always thin slice and, like Larry, make sure they aren't too long because, in addition, you don't want to slurp! We've used garlic in onion soup, as well as leeks on occasion.

I always cut thin and short slices of onion for this soup. Makes for neater eating.

FOS calls for caramelized onions. Since Bolas' crock pot method doesn't caramelize, I wouldn't use it for this soup.

I always cut thin and short slices of onion for this soup. Makes for neater eating.

FOS calls for caramelized onions. Since Bolas' crock pot method doesn't caramelize, I wouldn't use it for this soup.

Have you tried this, Andy? It does actually caramelize the onions. They get soft and browned and sweet, just like they would in a skillet, but it's completely hands-off. :yum:

Have you tried this, Andy? It does actually caramelize the onions. They get soft and browned and sweet, just like they would in a skillet, but it's completely hands-off. :yum:

I read the "slow cooker onion base" thread started by Bolas. Posts #13 and #14 ask the question and answer it in the negative. Thus my statement.

I haven't tried this. I seldom, if ever use a crockpot. I just never got into the habit. SO brought two into the relationship and they sit in the basement. Would you cook them on high or low.

I read the "slow cooker onion base" thread started by Bolas. Posts #13 and #14 ask the question and answer it in the negative. Thus my statement.

I haven't tried this. I seldom, if ever use a crockpot. I just never got into the habit. SO brought two into the relationship and they sit in the basement. Would you cook them on high or low.
Low 10 - 24 hours

Low 10 - 24 hours
That's an awfully long time. So, would it be on high for the 10 hours Bolas mentioned?

I'm thinking of putting my slow cooker outside to avoid the smell. I can find days that are safe for 10 hours, but 24, I couldn't be certain of no rain.

That's an awfully long time. So, would it be on high for the 10 hours Bolas mentioned?

I'm thinking of putting my slow cooker outside to avoid the smell. I can find days that are safe for 10 hours, but 24, I couldn't be certain of no rain.
OOPS meant 10 on high, 24 on low from reading both posts.

I love the smell of cooking onions.
I only use my slow cooker/crockpot to keep cheese fondue warm during dinner so I don't need to reheat it.

Last edited:

Hm. When I did it, they seemed pretty caramelized to me! :)

I am planning to make a quick onion soup tonight.

Boxed beef broth

caramelized onions that I make in my slowcooker and are in the freezer.

a few cloves garlic?

Then cook a while.

Question, Do I serve this with onion chunks in it, Or do I strain the soup ?

I have cheese and bread for topping, but as I really planning more of French Dip sandwich thing, I may skip the topping.

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.
It's up to you. The trad French version has onions floating in the soup and a slice of baguette and cheese floating on it (I suspect this is largely done for the tourists now that Les Halles market is no longer where it once was) but it's your soup, you can do what you like with it.

Last edited:
I usually serve my Onion soup chunky. That being said, I've learned over the years ( the hard way) to make sure the onions aren't cut too long. Sometimes, when eating hot soup with longer onion pieces in it, the hot long onion piece kinda doesn't go all the way in, and hangs on your lip ( burning it). So now , when Im preparing my onions, I make sure they aren't too long. I personally like fishing around for the onion pieces :)
:LOL:The first time I had it in France I ended up wearing more of it than I swallowed - the onions were cut in slices from a VERY big onion and they staged their own version of "The Great Escape"!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom