French onion soup, chunky?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our DD went to France 1 year with a group from her high school. She was a well-traveled teen because they went somewhere in Europe every year and it was a super deal cost wise plus they always had a fund raiser Christmas store every year and if the teen and/or parents worked they got a cut of whatever profit it made. Anyway, she loved French Onion soup and so got a big bowl of it 1 night when they went to dinner. Well, either that restaurant made it with a lot more wine than any I'd ever made or the waiter spiked her soup because she got drunk. That happened to be 1 of the nights she was calling home and I could tell something was wrong. Ended up talking to her girlfriend who told me about the soup and that DD said it tasted like it had a lot of wine in it. We had always let her have a little wine now and then on special occasions at home so she knew the taste. DD still swears to this day that the only thing she had besides the soup was water to drink and I believe her because she hasn't had French Onion soup since, not even when I made it at home before she left the nest.

That's an awfully long time. So, would it be on high for the 10 hours Bolas mentioned?

I'm thinking of putting my slow cooker outside to avoid the smell. I can find days that are safe for 10 hours, but 24, I couldn't be certain of no rain.

My onion stuffed crock pot caramelized the onions beautifully. I highly recommend doing it outside! I like the smell of cooking onions, but smelling them for all those hours is :sick:. The longer they cook, the browner they get.

My onion stuffed crock pot caramelized the onions beautifully. I highly recommend doing it outside! I like the smell of cooking onions, but smelling them for all those hours is :sick:. The longer they cook, the browner they get.

Kayelle, how long did you cook them?

Kayelle, how long did you cook them?

I knew Steve would remember that detail Andy. ;) We cooked them outside for 17 hrs on low. I do remember it was in the middle of winter that year and there was a huge discussion about how the rest of you cold winter folks could do it outside. IMO, it must be done outside to avoid the gag factor. :LOL: All those beautiful freezer plastic bags of perfectly caramelized onions was worth the experiment. :D

I knew Steve would remember that detail Andy. ;) We cooked them outside for 17 hrs on low. I do remember it was in the middle of winter that year and there was a huge discussion about how the rest of you cold winter folks could do it outside. IMO, it must be done outside to avoid the gag factor. :LOL: All those beautiful freezer plastic bags of perfectly caramelized onions was worth the experiment. :D

Thanks, Kayelle.

I think I'll pass. 17 hours (more or less) for 4-6 quarts of onions, do it outside because the smell is too much - not for me.

I can fill a 4, 6 or 8-quart saucepan with onions and have them ready in less than an hour. If I do it while I'm in the kitchen working on something else, it's not an imposition to stir the pot regularly.

Thanks, Kayelle.

I think I'll pass. 17 hours (more or less) for 4-6 quarts of onions, do it outside because the smell is too much - not for me.

I can fill a 4, 6 or 8-quart saucepan with onions and have them ready in less than an hour. If I do it while I'm in the kitchen working on something else, it's not an imposition to stir the pot regularly.

I tend to agree with you Andy. It was a fun experiment at the time, but I have no plans to do it again.

Last night, the Pioneer Woman made FOS. She started her onions out on the stove in an oven-safe big pot with butter, then transferred to oven and baked for about an hour with the lid slightly ajar. I wasn't really watching, doing other things, but I think she used the same pot from start to finish for the soup itself. Always a plus for me! The onions were a dark golden brown at the end. I think I'm going to give her onion cooking method a try instead of having to constantly tend to the onions so they don't burn the next time I make it. If anybody is interested in how she did it...

French Onion Soup Recipe : Ree Drummond : Food Network

Last edited:
Off topic.

Speaking of Bolas? That's the blast from the past? Has anybody heard from him or his brother? Last I heard of him was when he had bad kidney problem and had to have surgery. And at the same time Harry had have shoulder surgery.

No, I haven't heard from either of them in ages. I just checked their profiles. Harry was last here 2014-01-01 and Bolas on 2013-05-07. They were fun and and had good recipes. I miss them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom