Fridge life of soup stocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ'd Dude

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I just picked up a preety nice soup book.

Most recipes in it have soup stock being veggie and meat. In the section with stock most make 3 quart batches. Most soups that call for stock in this book call for less than one cup worth.

So it seems I will have varied soup stock hanging out in the fridge. What is the average shelf life of chicken, beef and veggie soup stock?

TIA,

Brian

If you freeze it, it will last virtually forever. You can package it in ziplick freezer bags and freeze them flat and stack them.

In the fridge, figure a week and be sure to bring it to a boil for 2-3 minutes before consumption.

First Welcome to DC, I really don't keep stock in the fridge unless I plan on using it within the week. When mine cools, I put it in freezer bags till ready to use.

Opps ! you beat me to it Andy !! You must type faster - lol

Andy/Barb,

Wow, thankf or the fast replies.

Makes sense on the freezer portion.

To thaw I am going to assume throw it in a pot of boiling water and I will be good to go.

Take care,

Brian

I don't know what the difference is, but I use or freeze my homemade stocks within a week, yet the cartons of Swanson's broths I always have on hand - according to Swanson's - should be used or frozen within 14 days after opening.

BreezyCooking said:
I don't know what the difference is, but I use or freeze my homemade stocks within a week, yet the cartons of Swanson's broths I always have on hand - according to Swanson's - should be used or frozen within 14 days after opening.

Breezy, all I can correlate that to is preservatives of some kind.

BBQ'd Dude - Yes, do what Andy said and just put your frozen stock in a pot and heat up. If you add it to water you'll have all watered down stock with no flavor, unless you are talking about thawing in water in food saver bags. But that wouldn't be necessary either, just put it in the pan you will be using.

I make a couple gallons of stock at a time.

My stock is concentrated, as I use A LOT of scraps/bones/cartiliage/shells/whathaveyou when I make it, then after I strain my stock, I reduce it to concentrate it further.

I portion my stock into ice cube trays and freeze, then bag and store in the deep-freezer.

When I use my stock, I just drop two cubes of my frozen concentrate into a measuring glass, then add enough hot water to bring it up to one cup. Of course, I rarely use just "one cup", so I use the ratio of two cubes : one cup hot water.

Thanks again for all the advise.

I really liked the ice cube tray suggestion.

Thanks all,

Brian

Back
Top Bottom