"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 10-13-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
Master Chef

Good Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe!

Where we live it’s been chilly and overcast—perfect soup weather! I tried this recipe (from Cooking Light) last night and with a few adjustments it was really good. The recipe calls for mashing the potatoes. I used my immersion blender and pureed the mixture so that it was smooth. I think this made a huge difference (improvement) in the final texture. I also threw in a handful of petit frozen peas and added way more noodles than called for (isn’t that the point of chicken noodle soup?! ). The slurry at the end, plus the pureed potatoes, makes for a thick, rich broth without any added fat. Yummy! :D

1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 garlic clove, minced
6 cups Chicken Stock, divided
2 cups diced peeled baking potato
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) sliced carrot
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
2 cups chopped spinach
1 teaspoon salt
3 ounces uncooked medium egg noodles (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 3 minutes. Add oregano and garlic, and sauté 30 seconds. Add 5 3/4 cups Chicken Stock and potato. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potato is tender. Mash potato in stock mixture. Add celery and carrot; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the chicken, spinach, and salt; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes. Add noodles; bring to a boil, and cook 5 minutes.
Combine 1/4 cup stock and flour in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Stir flour mixture into soup; simmer 3 minutes. Stir in pepper.

Yield: 5 servings (serving size: about 2 cups)

Old 10-14-2004, 05:40 PM   #2
Head Chef

There is nothing better than chicken noodle soup on a dreary night! Thank you for the recipe -- this really sounds rich and hearty, PA!

Tags
None