Ham base, How to use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never used powdered ham base, only the "gel" looking stuff. Do the directions say how much powder to use per cup of water? If you use broth in your bean soup then just use that much liquid you created with the ham base. Taste it before you add it to see if it's too salty or too "thin" tasting.

Kitchenelf, no instruction on the package, I bought it at a local Amish market. They sell all sorts of things, inexpensively and of high quality, just when the repackage they tend to assume you know how to use it. Thanks for the answer, that was what I was thinking.

I would put about a TBS in a half gallon of warm water, stir to melt it and give it a taste. Might have to add more water or base, but get it to where you like it.

Now, make your bean soup, Pasta Fagoli or some Minestrone :-p

Last edited:
I too would try a bit in some water. Maybe a quart or so. You sorta have to know how much you are putting in, a teaspoon, that sort of thing. I would start out on the light side and add some more, keeping track of how much I was adding. Then when you get to the taste you want you know how much to add it the future.

Or I might just go for it and add a little bit at a time to the soup mix and try it after each addition.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom