Ham'n Split Pea soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Last week we went to the "big town" down the road, and I went to a large Kroger store, looking for things I can't find locally.
One item I picked up was box of Streit's Split Pea soup mix. DH kinda turned his nose up at it, but he often does that with new things.

It's just dried green and yellow split peas with a seasoning packet with celery, onion, garlic and seasonings included for convenience sake. I made a few additions...here's how I fixed it:

1 8 oz box Streit's split pea soup mix
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 ham steak (I used Smithfield), cut into small bite-sized pieces

Start soup as directed on box...bring 4 cups water to boil in medium soup pot and add split peas and diced carrots. Cook about 30 minutes, then add potatoes, ham and seasoning packet. We ended up adding about 2 extra cups of water after we added the vegetables. After simmering about 30 more minutes, until peas are mush and potatoes and carrots are tender, it is ready to plate.
Serve with crusty bread.
If you want to stretch the soup, add another box of split peas. We had more than enough goodies, could have been a double batch.

And guess what...DH thought it was great. :)

Yep - split pea soup is one of those things I turn my nose up at until it's in front of me - - - then I LOVE it! I made some just a week or so ago. LOVED it! Instead of the seasoning packet I made a "broth" from some smoked ham hocks. It was pretty good! I then added my own finely chopped onions, carrots, and celery. That little bag made a HUGE amount of soup! VERY budget-friendly.

Oh, I took a picture of it - I'll have to post it when I get home. I have these GREAT green bowls my husband bought me....ick...not so great with the green pea soup in them! :sick:

Last edited:
Split pea soup, with or without ham, has been one of my favorite comfort foods since I was a kid -- and I wouldn't eat any vegetables! I now make several versions, depending on the mood and what's on hand. They're all good. Anyone who hasn't tried it and thinks they wouldn't like it is in for a treat.

But don't waste your money on mixes. Pea soup is very easy to make from scratch. As for a recipe, any bag of split peas -- green or yellow -- will have a decent recipe. All you really need to know, however, is the ratio of liquid to peas and how long to cook it all. From there, you can be pretty creative. I always include onion and garlic, carrots, sometimes celery, and I usually saute those before adding the liquid. Marjoram is a nice addition, as is cumin and a little soy sauce, and, of course, salt and pepper. If you want to stretch it out a bit, add a cubed potatoes toward the end.

If you search for recipes, you find a zillion, but my advice is to stick with the basics and avoid the ones that try to get really fancy with all sorts of unnecessary additions.

My sister recycles all her spiral cut ham bones to me for SP soup. I have half a batch remaining in the freezer right now. (plus a couple more ham bones)

Here's my own favorite concoction, developed by trying several different recipes & gleaning tidbits from all of them until I hit on a combo we liked best:chef::

BREEZY GREEN SPLIT-PEA SOUP

One 1-pound bag of dried split green peas
Extra-Virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, peeled & chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, peeled & chopped
1 smoked turkey thigh**
Two 32-ounce cartons chicken stock
1-2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Salt & freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)

Rinse the peas in a colander or strainer to remove dust, & sort through to remove any non-pea debris.

Heat a large heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium high heat. Add a few dollops of olive oil & add onion, garlic, celery & carrots. Saute until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Add stock, smoked turkey thigh, & peas. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, and cook, partially covered, until peas are tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Remove turkey thigh from pot and remove meat from the bones. Finely shred meat and put back into the pot. Stir in sage, lemon zest and cayenne and cook for another 5 minutes. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and freshly-ground black pepper.

Ladle into serving bowls, garnish with chopped parsley, if desired, and serve.

**Sometimes I’ll sub in a package of turkey kielbasa for the turkey thigh. In that case, slice the kielbasa into bite-size pieces & just add it at the stage where you’d normally add the shredded turkey thigh meat back into the pot. It doesn’t require or benefit from a long cooking period.

I do what the previous posters do but start off cooking a smoked ham hock in 20L. of water with a level tablespoon of whole black pepper corns and simmer until the meat falls off the bone.
When thats done we cool it overnight so we can skim fat and grease, then prep the veggies and seasonings.
I add pumpkin and taters to bulk it out.
We freeze up individual servings.
mmmmmmmm....good.

In California there used to be a small restaurant chain called, "Pea Soup Andersen's" that made the best split pea soup I've ever tasted. I have since acquired their recipe and it has become a staple during the past 30+ years. One of their ingredients comes as something of a surprise because you never directly taste more than just a hint of it - a small splash (about 1 tbls.) of red wine per 1/2 gal. of soup. But it makes a difference - for the good!

Personally, I would never add anything such as a potato. The peas have plenty of starch and thicken nicely without it, and potato adds no flavor. In fact, depending on the type of potato (russet) it can add a mealy texture that never breaks down or blends out, ruining a perfectly nice and creamy texture to your wonderful soup! That's the reason they often add cheese to potato soup - to add flavor and disguise its true texture.

There only one requirement I adhere to when making split pea soup, and that's not going anywhere or meeting with anyone the following day!!! LOL!

In California there used to be a small restaurant chain called, "Pea Soup Andersen's" that made the best split pea soup I've ever tasted. I have since acquired their recipe and it has become a staple during the past 30+ years. One of their ingredients comes as something of a surprise because you never directly taste more than just a hint of it - a small splash (about 1 tbls.) of red wine per 1/2 gal. of soup. But it makes a difference - for the good!

Personally, I would never add anything such as a potato. The peas have plenty of starch and thicken nicely without it, and potato adds no flavor. In fact, depending on the type of potato (russet) it can add a mealy texture that never breaks down or blends out, ruining a perfectly nice and creamy texture to your wonderful soup! That's the reason they often add cheese to potato soup - to add flavor and disguise its true texture.

There only one requirement I adhere to when making split pea soup, and that's not going anywhere or meeting with anyone the following day!!! LOL!
Arky,
Pea Soup Andersons has a large restaurant now and is always busy..We stop there often on the way back from Casa De Frutta and camping.
kadesma

I prefer the old fashioned way. I agree there as many ways of cooking any thing, as there are stars in the sky. My belief is. Simple is easier...;>)

One cup full of dried green split peas.
Soak over night, in pre boiled hot water.

Next morning, drain and rinse.

Place in suitable pot, add enough water to just cover, and bring to the boil, and simmer, keep checking the water and add if necersary. When peas are soft and mix easily into a pasty medium, leave to one side.

In another pot, at the same time, cook a ham shank (hock). Makeing sure it is not pre salted. Bring to the boil, simmer for about 10 mins, then drain and rinse. Add fresh hot water to cover the ham. Bring to the boil, then add pea medium. let it simmer, taste for salt, then add, salt if required, black pepper to your taste, chopped onion and a large diced carrot, and then add your favourite herbs. (I never use potatoes). I prefer, dried parsley and thyme. Leave to simmer till peas are fully intergrated and ham is just about to fall of the bone. Lekker!...;>)

Steve

Bush Chef :chef:

mmmmmmm.... yes, I use a pretty basic "recipe," in addtion to the split peas: onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, s&p, ham hock. I think I'll try the smoked turkey leg next time, though. Marjoram is a good suggestion, too.

Back
Top Bottom