Harvest Pumpkin Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kansasgirl

Senior Cook
This is such a fun recipe and makes a great presentation. People love to get their own special pumpkin soup bowl. It is great for the holidays or anytime.

Harvest Pumpkin Soup
8 mini pumpkins (big enough to hollow out)
1/2 c thinly sliced onion
1 1/2 tb butter
1/2 tb fresh sage, minced (can also use 1 ts dried sage)
3 c chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Cream or water as needed
Blue cheese, crumbled (garnish)
Toasted pumpkin seeds (garnish)

Preheat oven to 350
1.Cut the top off 4 pumpkins, leaving 1/4 in of meat near the stem. Scoop out seeds; reserve. Reserve the lids.
2.Cut the remaining pumpkins in half. Reserve all seeds. Toast seeds in the oven to a rich golden brown.
3.Bake the pumpkins (and the reserved lids), cut side down, on lightly oiled baking sheets for 40 minutes or until they are tender but still hold their shape. (Remove the lids halfway through cooking.)
4.Let cool slightly, then scrape all the pulp out of the halved pumpkins. Scrape most of the pulp out of the whole pumpkins, leaving just enough in each so that it retains its shape and the skin is intact.
5.In a large skillet cook the onion in the butter over low heat, stirring, until it is softened. Add the sage and cook for 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin pulp and chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
6.Puree the mixture in a blender and transfer it to a saucepan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If a thinner consistency is desired, thin soup with a bit of cream or water.
7.Ladle soup into each pumpkin shell and garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds and crumbled blue cheese. Place lids on top and serve warm.

Ooohhhh! I love a savory pumpkin soup, but I'm the only one in my family who will even touch the stuff outside of a pie!

This one, I'm going to make -- perfect for showing off in front of company!! Thanks (again), kansasgirl!!!
;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom