Hearty Lentil Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is an Indian version I make it's a 100% vegetarian:

3 cups of lentils - Cooked with water until soft. Puree them and keep them aside

Other Ingredients:

1 medium onion finely chopped
2 medium tomatoes finely chopped
1 carrot peeled and finely diced
1/2 red bell pepper peeled and finely diced
1/2 green bell pepper peeled and finely diced
2 cloves of freshly chopped garlic
1/4 inch of ginger freshly grated
1/4 tbsp of cumin and corrainder seeds toasted and then ground
1 jalapeno remove membranes and seeds and chop finely
juice of 1 lime
whole brown mustard seeds and cumin seeds - 1 tsp each
Cilantro and fried onions for garnish (I make my own fried onions by frying them in oil until they are brown and crisp, I then drain them in a paper towel and as they dry they crisp up even more and taste almost like candy)
4 cups of water
2 tbsp of canola oil
salt to taste
1 tsp of brown sugar

In a dutch oven, add the oil and let it get hot. Next add the whole cumin and brown mustard seeds and let them splutter. Once they splutter add the onions and fry that until onions are translucent. Next add the garlic, giner and all the dry spices and saute it for a minute. Next add the tomatoes, carrots and bell peppers and lentils and stir to combine. Add the 4 cups of water followed by the lime juice, jalapeno, brown sugar and salt and let this all cook on low for an hour covered.

The soup should be nice and thick. Pour it in a bowl, garnish with cilantro and fried onions and serve.

Sausage, Spinach and Lentil Soup....

* 1 pound hot Italian sausage, I like bulk.
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1-2 stalk celery, finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
* 1 (16 ounce) package dry lentils, rinsed
* 1 cup shredded carrot
* 5-8 cups water
* 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
* 2 cans diced tomatoes
* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
* 2 bay leaves
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
* 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 8 oz fresh spinach, well chopped

DIRECTIONS

1. Place sausage in a large pot. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Add onion, celery and chopped garlic, and saute until tender and translucent. Stir in lentils, carrot, water, chicken broth and tomatoes. Season with garlic powder, parsley, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, basil, salt and pepper. Add spinach. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover, and simmer for about 1 hour, or until lentils are tender.

Yummmm they all sound delicious... I'll try each of them to see which is my favorite. Thanks

I made this last winter. The lentils were several years old, but it was still delicious.

Connie’s Lentil Soup TNT

1 1/2 cup each brown lentils, chopped onions, chopped celery, chopped carrots
1 heaping tbl minced garlic
1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced diagonally
2 cups leftover cooked chicken (opt)
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1 can chicken broth
1 can beef broth (I meant to use 2 cans chicken broth, but the mistake turned out well)
1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
about 2 tbls pesto
olive oil

Rinse lentils and soak in hot water while you chop vegetables. In a dutch oven, saute onions, celery and carrots in a couple tbls olive oil until onions are translucent. Add garlic and sausage, and cook another 5-10 minutes. Stir in lentils. Add the diced tomatoes, broth, chicken and Old Bay. Cook until lentils are tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in pesto and serve.

I didn't add any actual salt at all...there was enough in the broth, sausage and pesto.

Saute in a little olive oil
1 chopped onion
3 shredded carrots
2 stalks chopped celery
until tender
Add
2 cups yellow lentils (green too)
6 cups water
2 cups leftover chicken
2 cups leftover smoked ham
Salt and pepper
garlic
Cook until tender adding water or broth as needed.

I made this last night and it was a good meal to warm everyone up as it's been getting cooler at night lately. Very hearty and tasty. It took about an hour and 15 minutes. ~Bliss

Back
Top Bottom