Help me jazz up plain 'ol Campbell's tomato soup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magnoliasouth

Assistant Cook
I know about using milk.. yummy! in fact, I always use milk, basil and some hot pepper sauce. What I'm wondering though is if I could/should add some stewed tomatoes (chopped? pureed?) to it or if that would just be too nasty.

I have tons of cans of stewed tomatoes (long story) and I'm making tomato soup tonight. I would love to try and get rid of some of those cans.

What do you think? :chef:

Worcestershire sauce helps immensely to cut through that acidic flavor.

If you want to get rid of the stewed tomatoes, skip the Campbells entirely and break out your stick blender (or stand blender) - you'll have a much nicer tomato soup out of pureed tomatoes than any canned soup can offer.

Tomatoes, Worcestershire, a touch of cream, some basil (dried is good, fresh is better) garlic, salt and pepper to taste.

Ohhhh, that sounds perfect. I had already opened my soup can, but I'm saving your recipe for next time. We love tomato soup so we'll have it again very soon.

Thank you so much!

i add a couple of Tbls of uncooked pastina (or you can cook soup and add already cooked and butter pastina to bowl) to soup and simmer soup till pastina is cooked than i serve with a pat of butter, salt pepper and a shot of hot sauce.

You could make it into tomato bisque by using a dash of cream (NOT milk!), add diced, deseeded tomato, a little extra basil and a dash of parsley.

You could make it into tomato bisque by using a dash of cream (NOT milk!), add diced, deseeded tomato, a little extra basil and a dash of parsley.
add lobster and you got ................... lobster bisque.

I would definitely add the home-made stewed tomatoes. Also using chicken or other stock rather than milk or cream for a different flavor. Poach a chicken breast in it, then chop at the last minute. Or some red salsa (green might make you wind up with an odd color).

I like stewed diced tomatoes w/chicken stock, worchestershire, lemon juice and salt and LOTS of black pepper to taste. It makes a nice, light tomato soup, perfect for summer. As for cutting the acidic taste, I like to accent it. It reminds me more of a fresh tomato.

Saute some diced onions, carrots, celery, and maybe potato until they are soft and begin to brown, then add your soup and any seasonings.

i am from pittsburgh, & reserve the right to mis'pronounce' stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have started using cans of tomato soup to make tomato sauce (ketsup) - cheaper than buying a bottle of sauce (well here at least) and you can vary the salt/spice etc levels to suit. Let me know if you want the recipe and I will post.

I've been doing this for years....

Milk instead of water. I add, to taste, about a half t. ea. Gebhardts chili powder, ground cumin, and granulated garlic. A dash of dried oregano. Maybe a little cayenne pepper on a cold day. Don't forget fresh cracked pepper. You can grate a little jack or cheddar cheese on top. I can't remember when I had a bland can of tomato soup.

Back
Top Bottom