Hosting dinner party....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaldoAwad

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone! It's been a while! Lol but I'm hosting my very first dinner party and it's just a bunch of friends, but I wanted to know if you guys had any good soup recipes? The party is on the 21 of December and I have finals this week, so I don't have time to experiment like I usually do. Thanks! Also I was thinking of a tomato soup? Would that be any good?

Aren't tomatoes way out of season there? What fresh ingredients are available? I would think along the lines of butternut or acorn squash.

I think many people make tomato soup with canned tomatoes, like they do marinara sauce.

Waldo, that type of soup by itself doesn't make a very substantial meal. Were you planning to serve something else with it? A salad and some crusty bread would make a nice meal.

Minestrone soup with beans and vegetables would be a hearty, filling option.

So many choices. If you want a soup for a first course, you'll probably want something lighter. One not loaded with meats and veggies. For a main course, the opposite is true.

Tomato rosemary
Sour Cream mushroom
Potato leek
French Onion
Split pea
Black bean

To name a few.

This is easy and my family likes it.

Taco Soup
1 pound ground meat turkey, beef or venison
1 chopped onion
All cans are 15 oz cans
1 can diced tomatoes 1 can diced tomatoes w/chilis (or use 2nd can of regular diced tomatoes for not so spicy)
1 can Pinto beans (I used vegetarian re-fried beans)
1 can kidney or black beans (I used black beans)
1 can chili beans, any style
1 can Mexicorn or regular corn (I used regular corn)
1 envelope ranch dressing
1 2.35 oz envelope taco seasoning.
Brown the meat and onions. Drain off excess grease. Add all the other ingredients. Heat and simmer on low about 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve with crackers, tortilla chips or corn bread (we like corn bread)

I think many people make tomato soup with canned tomatoes, like they do marinara sauce. Waldo, that type of soup by itself doesn't make a very substantial meal. Were you planning to serve something else with it? A salad and some crusty bread would make a nice meal. Minestrone soup with beans and vegetables would be a hearty, filling option.
I am serving lamb chops with a light sauce over them. And in having a fattoush salad. Or instead of the lamb a broiled whole chicken

Just something to think about - typically, a dinner menu includes one meat course. With lamb or chicken and the sausage soup, you would have two. That might be a little heavy. A lighter soup, like Andy suggested, might be better.

That said, it's your party and you can serve what you like :)

Just something to think about - typically, a dinner menu includes one meat course. With lamb or chicken and the sausage soup, you would have two. That might be a little heavy. A lighter soup, like Andy suggested, might be better.

That said, it's your party and you can serve what you like :)

I would agree GG. The Zuppa Tuscana is the main event. Someone here once served it along with Pizza for a holiday party.

Just something to think about - typically, a dinner menu includes one meat course. With lamb or chicken and the sausage soup, you would have two. That might be a little heavy. A lighter soup, like Andy suggested, might be better. That said, it's your party and you can serve what you like :)
I'm not making both I just haven't decided which one I want to make yet. Though I agree a light soup would be better, but I'm Arabic. Everything we eat is mainly heavy. Even the salads ?

I'm not making both I just haven't decided which one I want to make yet. Though I agree a light soup would be better, but I'm Arabic. Everything we eat is mainly heavy. Even the salads dde02

What is dde02? I Googled it, couldn't find much.

Look at the original post, not the quote. It's a smiley.

Oh wait, you're looking at it on your phone, aren't you? It's a small, Blue & white, grinning smiley.

Aha! Yes, I use the DC IPad app, now that 'splains it, thanks Taxy!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom