Hot and Sour Soup (Suan-la-t'ang)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle
I really like Hot n Sour soup and this recipe looks good Timothy. I like the flavor of white pepper but 1/4 tsp. seems like a very small amount to get the "hot". You said white vinegar, do you mean white distilled or white wine vinegar or white Chinese Rice Vinegar? TIA

The amount of white pepper would be to the tolerance of those eating it and prepared accordingly. With unknown tolerances, it's best to start at the more mild of seasonings. Any white venegar should work if applied with their various strenghs considered.

Timothy, I am not trying to be argumentative. I really wondered what kind of white vinegar you used since you said this is one of your favorite recipes. In my experience there is a world of difference in white vinegars and I happen to have the three kinds I mentioned. Yes, they all probably would work, I was just asking what you use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle
I really like Hot n Sour soup and this recipe looks good Timothy. I like the flavor of white pepper but 1/4 tsp. seems like a very small amount to get the "hot". You said white vinegar, do you mean white distilled or white wine vinegar or white Chinese Rice Vinegar? TIA

Timothy, I am not trying to be argumentative. I really wondered what kind of white vinegar you used since you said this is one of your favorite recipes. In my experience there is a world of difference in white vinegars and I happen to have the three kinds I mentioned. Yes, they all probably would work, I was just asking what you use.

I use the white distilled vinegar, Kayelle. It's the most convienient for me and I like it's sourness in this recipe.

I love hot and sour soup. Problem is finding good quality shitake mushrooms. The last ones I bought were so dry after I'd soke them and cook they would be still like a piece of tough rober.

Thank you Tim, H&S is my favorite soup in Chinese restaurants.
How long did you soak the shitake mushroom? And did you use cold water or warm water?

With warm water, it takes about 20 minutes. With cold water, it takes longer.

How long did you soak the shitake mushroom? And did you use cold water or warm water?

With warm water, it takes about 20 minutes. With cold water, it takes longer.

The first time I soak them in a very warm water fr about an hour. I forgot about them. And then boil them for about half an hour. They were horible. The second time I fallowed the directions on the container to the T, whatever it was, cannot remember now, same thing. I bought two containers from COSTCO, I had to return one.

The first time I soak them in a very warm water fr about an hour. I forgot about them. And then boil them for about half an hour. They were horible. The second time I fallowed the directions on the container to the T, whatever it was, cannot remember now, same thing. I bought two containers from COSTCO, I had to return one.
I think it's the mushroom's problem then. Next time if you pass by some Asian grocery market, grab a bag of dried shitake mushroom from there. Those are normally good quality.

Unfortunately my dietary restrictions do not allow me to use something from just "a bag".
My father used to go mushroom picking, that was the best.

Cook's Illustrated has the most amazing Hot & Sour recipe. The key is black vinegar and fresh ground white pepper. I've tried many but the CI always seems to be the best.

i used to play hockey with a guy named sean latang. i wonder if he knows that there's a soup named after him?

care to add the recipe here? please.

Hot and Sour Soup

5 dried shiitake mushrooms (about 1/4 ounce)
5 dried wood ear mushrooms (about 1/4 ounce)
1 (32-ounce) carton fat-free, less-sodium vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
2 1/4 cups water, divided
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 to 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound reduced-fat firm or extrafirm tofu, drained and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
4 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
Chili oil (optional)

Place mushrooms in a medium bowl; cover with boiling water. Cover and let stand 10 minutes or until tender; drain. Thinly slice mushrooms; set aside.
Combine broth, 2 cups water, ginger, and garlic in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Add mushrooms. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Add vinegar, soy sauce, pepper, and tofu; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
Combine remaining 1/4 cup water and cornstarch, stirring with a whisk. Stir cornstarch mixture into broth mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes or until soup thickens slightly, stirring frequently. Slowly pour egg whites into broth mixture in a steady stream, stirring constantly but gently with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat; stir in onions, cilantro, and sesame oil. Drizzle with chili oil, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 3/4 cups)

Thanks Tim.

“Swanson broth” reminds me of a funny story, ok not so funny. We were visiting my in-laws and I made chicken soup. I happen to be the best chicken soup maker (as far as simple Jews style chicken soup goes) we were seating down for dinner and my Not so dear SIL says:" oh it is so good, it tastes almost like Swanson’s" - good thing my wife doesn't allow weapons in the house...

Thanks Tim.

“Swanson broth” reminds me of a funny story, ok not so funny. We were visiting my in-laws and I made chicken soup. I happen to be the best chicken soup maker (as far as simple Jews style chicken soup goes) we were seating down for dinner and my Not so dear SIL says:" oh it is so good, it tastes almost like Swanson’s" - good thing my wife doesn't allow weapons in the house...

That's pretty funny Charlie. I do like Swanson's Broths, but your homemade soup undoubtedly outshines anything Swanson has to offer.

as pretty much anything commercial. I just picked up corn puffs and they are so salty i cannot even eat them, and I actually love salt. alwasy add pretty much to everything.

Back
Top Bottom