Hot and Sour Soup (Suan-la-t'ang)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timothy

Head Chef
This is my favorite soup of all soups. I think I could easily live entirely on this soup alone.

I do like to add a few drops of hot sauce to it just prior to eating.

Ingredients

4 dried Shiitake Mushrooms (1-1.5" in diameter)
2 squares, 3 inches each, Very Firm Tofu
1/2 cup of bamboo shoots
1/4 pound of boneless pork
1 quart of chicken stock
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of Soy Sauce
1/4 teaspoon of ground white pepper
2 tablespoons of white vinegar
2 tablespoons of cornstarch, mixed with 3 tablespoons of cold water
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons of sesame seed oil
1 Scallion, green top included, finely chopped

Method

Prepare ahead:
1. In a small bowl, cover the mushrooms with 1/2 cup of warm water and let them soak for 30 minutes to re-hydrate. Then, discard the soaking water. With a cleaver or knife, cut away and discard the tough stems of he mushrooms, and shred the caps by placing one at a time on a chopping board. Cut them horizontally into paper thin slices, and then into thin strips.

2. Drain the pieces of bamboo shoot and tofu. Rinse them and then chop as fine as the mushrooms.

3. Trim the pork of all fat. Then cut it into thin slices and then into very thin strips about 1/5 to 2 inches long.

4. Have the above ingredients, stock, salt, soy sauce, pepper, vinegar, cornstarch mixture, egg, sesame seed oil and scallions within easy reach, (Mise en place).

To cook:
Combine in a heavy 3 quart pan, the stock, salt, soy sauce, mushrooms, bamboo shoots and pork

Bring to a boil over high heat, then immediately reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 3 minutes. Drop in the tofu, and the pepper and vinegar. Bring to a boil again. Give the cornstarch mixture a stir to recombine it and pour it into he soup. Stir for a few seconds until the soup thickens, then slowly pour in the beaten egg, stirring gently. Remove the soup from the heat and Put into a serving bowl. Stir in the sesame seed oil and sprinkle the top with the scallions.

4-6 servings

Last edited:
The white pepper. You can also add 4 tablespoons of chopped garlic and a couple diced Thai red hots if you want it more spicy.

Got it. I skimmed right past that. I love hot and sour as well. Your post reminded me to add it to my 'to do' list.

Thanks for the recipe, Timothy. It's been on my to try list. Your ingredients sound good, I'm sure I'll make changes, but that's where the fun comes in.

For hot, I've got a big jar of cayenne. I like the heat/flavor.

Thanks for the recipe, Timothy. It's been on my to try list. Your ingredients sound good, I'm sure I'll make changes, but that's where the fun comes in.

For hot, I've got a big jar of cayenne. I like the heat/flavor.

You're very welcome, Zhizara. I have so many hot sauces and powders that it's sometimes difficult for me to decide which one to use *this time*.

I bought a KG of Smoked Jolokia powder from India. At the rate I use it, I figger it'll last me until about 2050, which is good because it cost me $80.

Awesome stuff!

Last edited:
I really like Hot n Sour soup and this recipe looks good Timothy. I like the flavor of white pepper but 1/4 tsp. seems like a very small amount to get the "hot". You said white vinegar, do you mean white distilled or white wine vinegar or white Chinese Rice Vinegar? TIA

I too love hot and sour soup--especially when I have a cold. I haven't had a cold, yet this season, but hot and sour soup, tomato juice-garlic-hot peppers (warmed up), or greek lemon soup is what I live on when I have a cold. Cut and pasted this.

I really like Hot n Sour soup and this recipe looks good Timothy. I like the flavor of white pepper but 1/4 tsp. seems like a very small amount to get the "hot". You said white vinegar, do you mean white distilled or white wine vinegar or white Chinese Rice Vinegar? TIA

The amount of white pepper would be to the tolerance of those eating it and prepared accordingly. With unknown tolerances, it's best to start at the more mild of seasonings. Any white venegar should work if applied with their various strenghs considered.

Hey folks, this is the type of recipe that is built on. It's a base for a type of soup. We all have our ways of improving upon base recipes. Have fun with this one. Change the meat...add cabbage, sauteed, covered with the soup...This "starter" recipe will make a great start for your own version of Hot and Sour Soup.

I had a neighbor who would bring this over. He was actually from Minnesota, a retired Navy cook. His wife was from Taiwan; they had two sons, one of whom was training to be a chef. To top this household off, was the brother (-in-law for her), a former Taiwanese Army officer, and Buddhist monk. I'm not real fond of tofu, but he used to cut in so it sort of was the shape of egg noodles and I really liked it. He also made a vegetarian version for his brother-in-law. She worked as a bartender at the base golf course, where a Korean family had the concession for food. Oh, how I miss the polyglut of great varieties of food we could get in Hawaii!

One thing that makes a great base for hot/sour soup is to order way more than you want of hot chicken wings the next time you order them, and save the bones, extra wings, carrot and celery sticks. Cover with water, drain, taste. Then season (a little vinegar will be needed, and of course it depends on what went into the hot wings).

One thing that makes a great base for hot/sour soup is to order way more than you want of hot chicken wings the next time you order them, and save the bones, extra wings, carrot and celery sticks. Cover with water, drain, taste. Then season (a little vinegar will be needed, and of course it depends on what went into the hot wings).

This may surprise you Claire, but I've never had wings prepared by anyone but myself. They are so available in the markets in such large bags now, that I just have a wings day when I load the Slow Cooker and add a large batch of wings with BQQ. Char some on the grill and finish them in the oven...

Making Hot/Sour soup from wings leftovers....I never thought of it. That will be my next marinade/soup!

Timothy, you will love the stock they make. It was pure serendipity when I saw that everyone at our table had ordered wings and had leftovers they didn't want to take home. One thing I hated in my youthful days as a waitress was the sheer amount of food that goes into the trash in restaurants. I just asked everyone if I could have their leftovers. Covered with water, added onion & garlic. Great start to a hot/sour soup.

Are you sure we didn't know each other in a different life?

I love hot and sour soup. Problem is finding good quality shitake mushrooms. The last ones I bought were so dry after I'd soke them and cook they would be still like a piece of tough rober.

Thank you Tim, H&S is my favorite soup in Chinese restaurants.

We love it and make it a lot at home.

Always use a mix of chix and beef broths, lots of pepper and hot sesame oil.

And lily buds, in addition to shitakes, button mushroom and scallions

lily-bud-final1.jpg

Thanks for posting. Hot & Sour Soup is one of my favorites, too. I've never thought about making it at home. I'll have to give this a try.

One question. Would fresh Shiitakes work for this?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Hot & Sour Soup is one of my favorites, too. I've never thought about making it at home. I'll have to give this a try.

One question. Would fresh Shiitakes work for this?

I use fresh mushrooms all the time for it. I personally love Oyster mushrooms in it. I buy them canned and rinse them prior to adding.

You could use Portabellas also. Any strong flavored mushroom would work.

This soup is also my absolute favorite way to enjoy Tofu. I use 1/2" cubes which have been fried first.

Back
Top Bottom