"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Old 12-16-2007, 08:29 AM   #11
Head Chef
The love of my life likes soups stewy - I am on the soupy side.

And so, rather than the messy divorce, figuring out who would get custody of the Tupperware, and having to go through the whole dating process to find someone who was also soupy, I compromised.

Our soups are stewy.

Add pasta. It works.

Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:04 AM   #12
Executive Chef
fine cornmeal................

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:05 AM   #13
Assistant Cook
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will go to my local supermarket and check them out.
harryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #14
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Just smash up some of the vegetables and stir them into the broth.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:21 AM   #15
Senior Cook
Hi Harry when I make soup I don't start with water I'll use a stock. You can get it off the shelf or make your own. A stock home made so thick that it gells when chilled is going to be a much more flavorful liguid to begin the soup than water alone. It won't be the viscosity of molasses when hot but it is so heavy with flavor that any of the above thickeners won't reduce the taste. IMHO Cornstarch and water alone isn't too tasty.
oneoffour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:14 AM   #16
Head Chef
If its a tomato-based soup, add some tomato paste. 2 small cans for $1 or less.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:28 AM   #17
Sous Chef
I'd throw in a couple extra pototoes that you can take out when tender, smash with a little of the broth, then put back into the soup.
PytnPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:02 AM   #18
Assistant Cook
thicken soup

Originally Posted by harryf View Post
I do not like my soup all watery. How do I thicken it?

Before someone suggests me to use less water, that is not what I meant. What I mean is how do I make it like have a slow flow/drip/stir effect.

This may sound too country for you, BUT...don't throw out the last bit of gravy. Stick it in the freezer in a small container. It's a roux. Put it in the soup. It thickens, adds color and flavor.
bglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:39 AM   #19
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
or you could go to a health food shop and ask for Xanthan gum, it has no taste or color and if made with water will remain perfectly clear so it`s great for Any type of soup, and you only need a very small amount!

a typical 100g container will thicken up a whole Bath full of water! so it`ll last you a few years :)

edit: and it doesn`t Split either like some starch based thickeners can over time.
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:22 AM   #20
Hi Harryf,

When I make soup, I follow this basic process, I heat up some oil, then put in some onion, after the onion is transluscent, then I mix in flour (whatever kind you like). I stir that together and then when the flour is well mixed in with the onions then I add water/broth and all the other ingredients. If it is not thick enough, then I put some flour in a jar, add a bit of COLD water, cover and shake. Then I add that to the soup and that works wonders. If you add warm or hot water to your soup, it will turn into glue (trust me I learned the hard way once making gravy!)