"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 09-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #11
Sous Chef

To be honest I really haven't "worked" on a a pot-pie recipe. However, I do sometimes make a quickie version in my single serving crocks. Basically just use the recipe above for turkey soup, but use just 1qt of stock instead of two. This will produce a thick gravy/stew like consistency. Then I warm my crocks and bake off some rounds of puff-pastry. Set the puff pastry on the warm stew filled crock and have at it.

Not really a "Pot-Pie" recipe though. Some restaurants around here make this as "pot-pie", and it is good, but I refer to it more as a comforting way to use leftovers.

I'll work on a real pot-pie recipe some day this fall, and get back with whatever findings I have.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I should also mention that you can increase the amount of meat/veggies in the turkey stew recipe I posted. Another classic addition would be some sage for that late-fall/early-winter holiday flavor. Just throw a leaf in the cheesecloth sachet so you can easily remove it later.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:57 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I predict you get as many recipes for soup as there are posters here.

I always sweat the mire poix first. Heat small amount olive oil in large stock pot, toss in chopped carrots, celery and onion. Cook over medium heat long enough to give a bit of colour. Deglaze the pan with marsala. Add dried thyme now (or wait till later to add fresh). Fill pot with water and bring to a simmer. Add the entire breast leftover to the water, simmer gently for an hour. You may find the flavour to be weak, since this is the second cooking for the bones. Most of the flavour was realeased when you roasted the breast the first time. If this is the case, add some stock or base, storebought is fine. Pull the breast out, wait till it's cool enough to handle and then pull the meat off the bones and return to the pot.
Before I serve, I sprinkle fresh chopped parsley and thyme into the pot, stir. I also grate romano cheese over the soup in the bowls.

Tags
None