How pure to keep onion soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pellice

Cook
I am making onion soup for lunch for the next few days. I really want a classic onion soup flavor, BUT I am a single cook, and I can barely keep myself from throwing in "this and that." Because single cooks are ALWAYS looking to throw in the kitchen sink to use up what's sitting around. I know I am not going to be able to resist a potato or two, but when does onion soup stop being onion soup? Spinach? Have lots of that. Celery? I really need to use up a last couple of stalks.

Single cooks, do you resist the siren call of just throwing it all in the pot?

If you want classic French onion soup, it stops becoming the classic once you add anything to it besides broth, caramelized onions, bread and cheese.

Consider putting that extra stuff in a salad alongside the soup, or in a different soup later in the week.

You can add anything you want. At some point it stops being onion soup. But what do you care? As long as you like it, it's acceptable.

If you want classic French onion soup, it stops becoming the classic once you add anything to it besides broth, caramelized onions, bread and cheese.

Consider putting that extra stuff in a salad alongside the soup, or in a different soup later in the week.
Or, make a biggish pot of classic onion soup and put some of it aside and put the other stuff in the rest of the soup and continue cooking it.

Julia Child's recipe has a small amount of brandy and a larger amount of white vermouth in it. :rolleyes: :yum:

Well, GotGarlic, at least, you caught me before I could add a second potato. I am going to mitigate it by going the rest of the way with a slice of toast topped with cheese under the broiler.

*** Yes, I know I don't have to adhere to the classic formulations. But, I want to practice a little discipline this time instead of throwing in the kitchen sink as I usually do. :)

if you want to have fun and dedicate yourself to trying to create a classic dish, it becomes more about the ingredients and how, and when, you prepare, add, and cook them..once you start to add other stuff, you may as well just melt cheese on anything..that's ok, but you've moved on from the initial "Classic" dish you set out to create..

Don't forget to melt cheese on it..:yum:

Personally I prefer my cheesy garlic bread separately but hey that’s me. You do you lol and if you’re cooking how it’s served is exactly my favourite lol.

Food is like the old beer rule when offered your favourite is what’s offered your second favourite is cold lol

We sometimes make Sopa de Cebolla. Mexican onion soup using chicken broth, white onions, leeks, and green onions. Do not brown the onions and very slow cooked to ensure the color stays light. Yes to crusty bread and melty cheese.

I am making onion soup for lunch for the next few days. I really want a classic onion soup flavor, BUT I am a single cook, and I can barely keep myself from throwing in "this and that." Because single cooks are ALWAYS looking to throw in the kitchen sink to use up what's sitting around. I know I am not going to be able to resist a potato or two, but when does onion soup stop being onion soup? Spinach? Have lots of that. Celery? I really need to use up a last couple of stalks.

Single cooks, do you resist the siren call of just throwing it all in the pot?
Guilty--if I am trying to use stuff up, it goes in the pot. If I am following a recipe for a specific soup (can't remember when I last did that), then I resist.

Back
Top Bottom