"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
Head Chef
 
letscook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Finger Lakes of NY
Posts: 1,879
I add some chopped celery to mine
__________________

__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
Head Chef
 
KatyCooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,135
Okay, so I was discussing Clam Chowder here with some of you a few days ago.

I have never eaten a clam (canned or otherwise) in my life and this has put me off making a Clam Chowder up to now even though it looks so nice. I then discovered that finding any form of clams where I live was going to be a challenge in any case.

Today, however, I found tinned "baby clams". So I am good to go. (Sorry Addie, I really don't have any choice about the clams!)

I want my chowder to be quite thick and creamy, and I was assuming that it would also include sweetcorn* but that appears to be missing from the recipes here.

My questions are:

(1) My tinned clams are in "salted water" - should I discard that and just use fish stock instead?

(2) Is it a cardinal sin to put sweetcorn into a Clam Chowder? I can't see how it would ruin it....

(3) What is good to serve with a Chowder?


* by which I mean the kernels that you get from the corn cob, if that wasn't clear
__________________

__________________
KatyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
If I was to make clam chowder, and I never have, I would not put corn in it. Corn is for corn chowder.
But if someone gave me some clam chowder that did have corn in it I'd eat it. It's just not something I'd expect to see. It might make your first experience with clams more enjoyable for you though.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
Head Chef
 
KatyCooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
If I was to make clam chowder, and I never have, I would not put corn in it. Corn is for corn chowder.
But if someone gave me some clam chowder that did have corn in it I'd eat it. It's just not something I'd expect to see. It might make your first experience with clams more enjoyable for you though.
So Corn Chowder is like a vegetarian version? (Using corn instead of the clams?)

How come you have never made it Pac?
__________________
KatyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
So Corn Chowder is like a vegetarian version? (Using corn instead of the clams?)

How come you have never made it Pac?
I wouldn't say its a version, not of clam chowder anyway, it's just another chowder. I'll bet the ingredients are pretty similar except for the clams and the corn. But I really wouldn't know as I've never made either. I'm not a big soup maker unless I'm turning leftovers into something.
And truth be told, I love some of the storebought clam chowders. Campbells Select is it? Good stuff. For as often as I eat clam chowder that works for me.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #16
Half Baked
 
4meandthem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 2,018
I like to add some minced fresh rosemary to my chowder. Maybe 1 sprig for a batch of chowder.Rosemary,onion and celery are sweated with the potatoes in the bacon fat and deglazed with clam juice. I take the bacon out and add it back in with the milk later. I don't use cream and don't miss it much. If I do use it I only use a 1/2 pint. You can smash up some of the potatoes when soft to thicken the chowder if you want.Tobasco is used sometimes but I usually let people add there own at the table.

I serve warm Sourdough bread and butter with my chowder. A salad too.


I forgot to take something out for dinner tonight. I think chowder is on the menu now.
__________________
Just be yourself! Everyone else is taken.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post

So Corn Chowder is like a vegetarian version? (Using corn instead of the clams?)

How come you have never made it Pac?
I guess it's a vegetarian version, although I never thought of it that way. Here's a recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html If you can't get fresh corn, I'd use frozen.

There's also corn and crab chowder: http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/sou...ornchowder.htm I know I'm spoiled here on the coast, but I can't imagine making this with canned crab.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #18
Half Baked
 
4meandthem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 2,018
The crab gets lost. I have tried it.
__________________
Just be yourself! Everyone else is taken.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #19
Half Baked
 
4meandthem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 2,018
The brand of canned clam makes a big difference. I used to use Snow's but now I buy large cans of Caravelle that I get at my asian market. They are cheaper,larger,meatier,tastier. 2 cans gives me PLENTY of clams and I don't have to buy extra juice.
__________________
Just be yourself! Everyone else is taken.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
Okay, so I was discussing Clam Chowder here with some of you a few days ago.

I have never eaten a clam (canned or otherwise) in my life and this has put me off making a Clam Chowder up to now even though it looks so nice. I then discovered that finding any form of clams where I live was going to be a challenge in any case.

Today, however, I found tinned "baby clams". So I am good to go. (Sorry Addie, I really don't have any choice about the clams!)

I want my chowder to be quite thick and creamy, and I was assuming that it would also include sweetcorn* but that appears to be missing from the recipes here.

My questions are:

(1) My tinned clams are in "salted water" - should I discard that and just use fish stock instead?

(2) Is it a cardinal sin to put sweetcorn into a Clam Chowder? I can't see how it would ruin it....

(3) What is good to serve with a Chowder?


* by which I mean the kernels that you get from the corn cob, if that wasn't clear
I take it you don't live near the coast!

The "tinned" clams. Is it sea water or water that has had salt water added to it. Take a taste. If it is too salty, toss it. If not, add it to the chowder.

Can you find clam juice in the bottle? I would think it is better than fish stock. Enhances the clam flavor.

Corn in clam chowder? You Heretic!

I have always since childhood had oysterette crackers with any chowder. They are very small round crackers similar to saltines in taste. Some nice soft high homemade biscuits smothered with butter would do very well also.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.