"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 10-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
For some I suppose
I never got the attraction of adding crackers to a nice thick chowder. Chicken noodle soup, sure, after you run out of noodles and stuff and have nothing left but broth, but chowders?
But that's what makes the world go round
Chowders are usually not thick. Or they shouldn't be so that your spoon stands up in them. The crackers soak up the liquor.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #42
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I would have responded sooner but I can't stop laughing. and it is hard to see with tears running down my face.

Cherry stones are a name we give to hard shell clams. There are soft shell, little necks, quahogs, etc. They are different sizes. The quahogs which are the largest are difficult to open and are often cut up and mixed with breadcrumbs or other filler, placed back into the washed shell and baked. The cherry stones can often be used for fried clams or chowder. The smallest are soft shells and are just babies. Clammers (people who did clams for a living) put them back to grow some more.
Always pleased to amuse Addie!

I think we can safely say I won't be using cherrystones!

Old 10-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
Chowders are usually not thick. Or they shouldn't be so that your spoon stands up in them. The crackers soak up the liquor.

What I am aiming for is a sort of thickish soup consistency. But not stodgy.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
Always pleased to amuse Addie!

I think we can safely say I won't be using cherrystones!
Katy, this has been the most delightful thread I have participated in for a while. I used to dig clams in the summer as a child and bring them home for supper that night. Long before they were regulated. Every kid did. We all brought our pails with us when we went to the beach. After a storm, we couldn't dig them fast enough. They were always close to the surface. I grew up on seafood.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Who said anything about standing a spoon up?
I have never had a chowder that was not thicker than a soup made with broth or stock. But then I don't live in Boston.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
What I am aiming for is a sort of thickish soup consistency. But not stodgy.
Yes. Not watery like broth, but a hint of thickness that the milk/cream should provide. Kind of like gravy.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Yes. Not watery like broth, but a hint of thickness that the milk/cream should provide. Kind of like gravy.
Exactly Pac!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
Katy, this has been the most delightful thread I have participated in for a while. I used to dig clams in the summer as a child and bring them home for supper that night. Long before they were regulated. Every kid did. We all brought our pails with us when we went to the beach. After a storm, we couldn't dig them fast enough. They were always close to the surface. I grew up on seafood.
And this will show you how far I am away from seafood - I didn't know that clams were dug up! I thought they would be dredged or caught in cages or something!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Who said anything about standing a spoon up?
I have never had a chowder that was not thicker than a soup made with broth or stock. But then I don't live in Boston.
I have seen some very bad chowders served right here in Boston. Usually made by someone who was not born or grew up here. They thicken it with cornstarch. An abomination! So many of our regional dishes came over on the Mayflower. So if you are going to make one and want it to be as authentic as possible, just ask yourself, "what did the Pilgrims have on hand to make this dish?" They certainly didn't have cornstarch.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't always base my food profile on something that was (according to you) made nearly 300 years ago. Nor did I mention cornstarch anywhere.
Really, where do you come up with this stuff? Can't you give someone advice without sniping all the time? What is it, my turn today?

Tags
None