"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
And this will show you how far I am away from seafood - I didn't know that clams were dug up! I thought they would be dredged or caught in cages or something!
Scallops are dredged. Picture a pitchfork with all the tines bent downward and a very short handle. The clammer walks along the beach bent over at low tide looking for bubbles in the sand. Aha! A bunch of them together tells him that he has come upon a 'clam bed.' He takes his trusty fork and digs deep. A back breaking job. But the pay is good. They do have to label where they were dug, and the date. This information is on the netted bag when they are in the store for sale. The clammer goes out twice a day at low tide.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
I am not even going to mention the brand of clams I found! I'll probably get lynched! (Suffice to say, it is none of the above!)

Just bear in mind I have been to every store in town and only one had ANY clams at all, so it was this one or nothing!
Oh fer Pete's sake, canned clams are just fine, and nothing wrong with corn in a chowdah! Just don't let it overpower the clams. Whatever tastes good to you. I also dump the clam juice into whatever chowder or spaghetti sauce I'm making. We mostly get Snow's here too.

Taste a bit of the canned clams, Katy, they should taste of the sea, and not the slightest bit fishy. (I have a HUGE fishy taste aversion.)

Old 10-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Chowders are usually not thick. Or they shouldn't be so that your spoon stands up in them. The crackers soak up the liquor.
Addie is spot on.

Clam chowder is on the menu all over the place here and the really thick kind is sorta gross. Tells you that they don't care about quality.

And sorry you guys have to use canned clams. IMO they are pretty nasty.

If you want to put corn in your clam chowder ... Do it. If you think you'd like the taste, do it. There are some hard and fast rules in cooking but corn in clam chowder isn't one of them.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #54
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh fer Pete's sake, canned clams are just fine, and nothing wrong with corn in a chowdah! Just don't let it overpower the clams. Whatever tastes good to you. I also dump the clam juice into whatever chowder or spaghetti sauce I'm making. We mostly get Snow's here too.

Taste a bit of the canned clams, Katy, they should taste of the sea, and not the slightest bit fishy. (I have a HUGE fishy taste aversion.)
I am very nervous of tasting a clam DL! (Well not so much tasting it, but the texture - I hope it won't be too chewy, or too slimy). I realise it will be nothing like a fresh one, so let's hope it doesn't put me off for life!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

I am very nervous of tasting a clam DL! (Well not so much tasting it, but the texture - I hope it won't be too chewy, or too slimy). I realise it will be nothing like a fresh one, so let's hope it doesn't put me off for life!
Try it, you'll like it! Go ahead, just taste a tiny bit. It's kinda like a chewy piece of mushroom. Super good in marinara sauce too.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #56
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Addie is spot on.

Clam chowder is on the menu all over the place here and the really thick kind is sorta gross. Tells you that they don't care about quality.

And sorry you guys have to use canned clams. IMO they are pretty nasty.

If you want to put corn in your clam chowder ... Do it. If you think you'd like the taste, do it. There are some hard and fast rules in cooking but corn in clam chowder isn't one of them.
You won't see Clam Chowder anywhere here Jennyema, but I know what you and Addie mean about an artificially thickened soup or stew. It has a horrible texture. I'll be using flour - which will be cooked through properly so there won't be any "raw" flour taste. Potatoes will help thicken it a bit more.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
They are pretty similar to fresh ones, depending on the quality. At least the texture is. Kind of chewy, but not slimy in the least. And they actually break up when you chew them, so it's not like chewing on gristle.
I do know people who like fish, but don't like clams. I like the texture of both fresh or canned clams.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #58
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Try it, you'll like it! Go ahead, just taste a tiny bit. It's kinda like a chewy piece of mushroom.
I am not going to open my precious can of clams right this minute DL!

But I PROMISE I will report back when I am ready to make my Chowdah!

I haven't broken the news to my brother yet that it will be on the menu! He is very averse to seafood (won't even eat prawns!) However, I did get him to eat some crab a while ago and he actually liked that. So my guess is, he will give it a try.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #59
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
They are pretty similar to fresh ones, depending on the quality. At least the texture is. Kind of chewy, but not slimy in the least. And they actually break up when you chew them, so it's not like chewing on gristle.
I do know people who like fish, but don't like clams. I like the texture of both fresh or canned clams.
I have a feeling it is possible I will be one of those people Pac! But I won't know til I try, right? I am very curious!
Old 10-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

I hope it comes out well for you. I'm looking forward to you making it.

Tags
None