"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
And this will show you how far I am away from seafood - I didn't know that clams were dug up! I thought they would be dredged or caught in cages or something!
Scallops are dredged. Picture a pitchfork with all the tines bent downward and a very short handle. The clammer walks along the beach bent over at low tide looking for bubbles in the sand. Aha! A bunch of them together tells him that he has come upon a 'clam bed.' He takes his trusty fork and digs deep. A back breaking job. But the pay is good. They do have to label where they were dug, and the date. This information is on the netted bag when they are in the store for sale. The clammer goes out twice a day at low tide.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
I am not even going to mention the brand of clams I found! I'll probably get lynched! (Suffice to say, it is none of the above!)

Just bear in mind I have been to every store in town and only one had ANY clams at all, so it was this one or nothing!
Oh fer Pete's sake, canned clams are just fine, and nothing wrong with corn in a chowdah! Just don't let it overpower the clams. Whatever tastes good to you. I also dump the clam juice into whatever chowder or spaghetti sauce I'm making. We mostly get Snow's here too.

Taste a bit of the canned clams, Katy, they should taste of the sea, and not the slightest bit fishy. (I have a HUGE fishy taste aversion.)
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #53
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Chowders are usually not thick. Or they shouldn't be so that your spoon stands up in them. The crackers soak up the liquor.
Addie is spot on.

Clam chowder is on the menu all over the place here and the really thick kind is sorta gross. Tells you that they don't care about quality.

And sorry you guys have to use canned clams. IMO they are pretty nasty.

If you want to put corn in your clam chowder ... Do it. If you think you'd like the taste, do it. There are some hard and fast rules in cooking but corn in clam chowder isn't one of them.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #54
Head Chef
 
KatyCooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh fer Pete's sake, canned clams are just fine, and nothing wrong with corn in a chowdah! Just don't let it overpower the clams. Whatever tastes good to you. I also dump the clam juice into whatever chowder or spaghetti sauce I'm making. We mostly get Snow's here too.

Taste a bit of the canned clams, Katy, they should taste of the sea, and not the slightest bit fishy. (I have a HUGE fishy taste aversion.)
I am very nervous of tasting a clam DL! (Well not so much tasting it, but the texture - I hope it won't be too chewy, or too slimy). I realise it will be nothing like a fresh one, so let's hope it doesn't put me off for life!
__________________
KatyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post

I am very nervous of tasting a clam DL! (Well not so much tasting it, but the texture - I hope it won't be too chewy, or too slimy). I realise it will be nothing like a fresh one, so let's hope it doesn't put me off for life!
Try it, you'll like it! Go ahead, just taste a tiny bit. It's kinda like a chewy piece of mushroom. Super good in marinara sauce too.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #56
Head Chef
 
KatyCooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Addie is spot on.

Clam chowder is on the menu all over the place here and the really thick kind is sorta gross. Tells you that they don't care about quality.

And sorry you guys have to use canned clams. IMO they are pretty nasty.

If you want to put corn in your clam chowder ... Do it. If you think you'd like the taste, do it. There are some hard and fast rules in cooking but corn in clam chowder isn't one of them.
You won't see Clam Chowder anywhere here Jennyema, but I know what you and Addie mean about an artificially thickened soup or stew. It has a horrible texture. I'll be using flour - which will be cooked through properly so there won't be any "raw" flour taste. Potatoes will help thicken it a bit more.
__________________
KatyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
I am very nervous of tasting a clam DL! (Well not so much tasting it, but the texture - I hope it won't be too chewy, or too slimy). I realise it will be nothing like a fresh one, so let's hope it doesn't put me off for life!
They are pretty similar to fresh ones, depending on the quality. At least the texture is. Kind of chewy, but not slimy in the least. And they actually break up when you chew them, so it's not like chewing on gristle.
I do know people who like fish, but don't like clams. I like the texture of both fresh or canned clams.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #58
Head Chef
 
KatyCooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Try it, you'll like it! Go ahead, just taste a tiny bit. It's kinda like a chewy piece of mushroom.
I am not going to open my precious can of clams right this minute DL!

But I PROMISE I will report back when I am ready to make my Chowdah!

I haven't broken the news to my brother yet that it will be on the menu! He is very averse to seafood (won't even eat prawns!) However, I did get him to eat some crab a while ago and he actually liked that. So my guess is, he will give it a try.
__________________
KatyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #59
Head Chef
 
KatyCooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
They are pretty similar to fresh ones, depending on the quality. At least the texture is. Kind of chewy, but not slimy in the least. And they actually break up when you chew them, so it's not like chewing on gristle.
I do know people who like fish, but don't like clams. I like the texture of both fresh or canned clams.
I have a feeling it is possible I will be one of those people Pac! But I won't know til I try, right? I am very curious!
__________________
KatyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I hope it comes out well for you. I'm looking forward to you making it.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.