How to make the best clam chowder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't eat clam chowder as I developed an allergy to clams in my late teens. SO and I make do with fish chowder.

Chowder is a soup made with salt pork, dairy, potato and a name ingredient such as clams, corn or fish. Additional thickeners should not be added. The dairy and starch from the potatoes will provide any thickening needed. Sadly, many chowder purveyors and their customers in this area equate thickness with goodness.

If you want to add corn to your chowder, go ahead and do it. Replace the salt pork with bacon if you like. Double cream will make it extra rich and creamy.

Thank you Andy. Very cool. :cool:

K

And I'm off to bed! (Have you seen the bleedin' time?)

I don't eat clam chowder as I developed an allergy to clams in my late teens. SO and I make do with fish chowder.

Chowder is a soup made with salt pork, dairy, potato and a name ingredient such as clams, corn or fish. Additional thickeners should not be added. The dairy and starch from the potatoes will provide any thickening needed. Sadly, many chowder purveyors and their customers in this area equate thickness with goodness.

If you want to add corn to your chowder, go ahead and do it. Replace the salt pork with bacon if you like. Double cream will make it extra rich and creamy.

I am with you Andy. Of all the shell fish, I am allergic to scallops. I don't even try to taste them anymore. And it is my favorite. Sometimes I can taste the iodine in other ones like clams, and crabs, and even lobster. The second I do, I spit it right out. And I don't care where I am or how rude it is. It is the iodine I am allergic to. Fortunately, when ever I taste iodine in fried clams, I know that they pretty much come from the same clam beds. So if I am eating fried clams and I can taste the iodine in one, I know the rest have iodine in them also. :angel:

Last edited:
No, not every household had/has coffee filters hanging around. Especially back in the day of perculated coffee.

I no longer use a coffee maker, but keep filters on hand as they are perfect for covering a bowl reheating in the microwave. They are cheap too!

I no longer use a coffee maker, but keep filters on hand as they are perfect for covering a bowl reheating in the microwave. They are cheap too!

I use them to strain fat, to create an herb bouquet and so many other things. Even if I didn't have a coffee maker, I would have them on hand, like you. :angel:

Found this thread about an hour ago and I've just now gotten thru it. Why so long? I've been laughing something other than my butt off so hard I've had to keep taking breathing breaks! :ROFLMAO: Of course I'm going to put my 2 cents worth in....

Chowders are usually not thick. Or they shouldn't be so that your spoon stands up in them. The crackers soak up the liquor. :angel:

Who said anything about standing a spoon up? :wacko:
I have never had a chowder that was not thicker than a soup made with broth or stock. But then I don't live in Boston.
And then you have your Rhode Island Clear. I never saw the thrill in the clam broth that was on the bottom of the steamer, although my SIL would drink it up wherever she'd visit (pre-move) and we'd have clams. Still, I'm usually willing to try something new to me. Shortly after we moved here and had been out for a ride we found a small restaurant in Jamestown, RI. They had both kinds of chowder (yes, there are only two :-p ) on the menu: White and Clear. Tried the clear and was it ever good! As a bonus it's less filling and has fewer calories. Easier to justify that yummy dessert...

I assume we are all agreed that smoked bacon is the way to go?
Actually, one of my very favorite tastes of non-traditional clam chowder included thin half-discs of smoked sausage (such as a Polish Kielbasa) that were sauteed in when you first sweat your onions. I know, heretical, right? Guess I have to wear a big white "C" on my shirt..:ermm:

How would she know? When just cherry stones, without mentioning they were clams, was stated, I can see where Katy was confused. It makes sense that she thought cherry stones from actual cherries were the ingredient. We speak different languages, even though they're both English!

We do! ;)

I know my comment caused huge amusement (and I don't mind at all). It was a genuine misunderstanding.

Part of being on sites like this for me is all about learning new things.

Clams are simply not a part of the general British diet. (Though I am sure you can find them here.)

This exchange, and others like it lately with more of our non-U.S. friends participating, got me thinking about a new thread idea. It's a riff off of Princess Fiona's "Word of the Day" thread for sure, but I thought we could use a foreign translator thread just for us! If you are confused by what a certain word means (or you know of a word or phrase that confuses the bejeebers out of other people) don't be afraid to venture over to "I Say PoTAto..." over on the Back Porch.

This exchange, and others like it lately with more of our non-U.S. friends participating, got me thinking about a new thread idea. It's a riff off of Princess Fiona's "Word of the Day" thread for sure, but I thought we could use a foreign translator thread just for us! If you are confused by what a certain word means (or you know of a word or phrase that confuses the bejeebers out of other people) don't be afraid to venture over to "I Say PoTAto..." over on the Back Porch.

Bejeebers?

:ROFLMAO:

I use them to strain fat, to create an herb bouquet and so many other things. Even if I didn't have a coffee maker, I would have them on hand, like you. :angel:

They're also great for making an herbal tea bag. I just fold it over the herbs and staple it shut.

Coffee filters are great for holding a handful of chips, popcorn or even a quick sandwich, cheaper than a paper plate or paper towel!

Actually, one of my very favorite tastes of non-traditional clam chowder included thin half-discs of smoked sausage (such as a Polish Kielbasa) that were sauteed in when you first sweat your onions. I know, heretical, right? Guess I have to wear a big white "C" on my shirt..:ermm:

No big "C". Not necessary. Just tell yourself pork is pork. Whether it be bacon or salt pork or some other pork product. :angel:

Coffee filters are great for holding a handful of chips, popcorn or even a quick sandwich, cheaper than a paper plate or paper towel!

I have even grabbed one for when I was pouring coffee and it splashed on my eyeglasses. No lint and did the job of cleanup very nicely. :angel:

I bought a pack of them to take to work, there are always boxes of crackers, bags of chips around. Coffee filters are perfect holders for snack food.

Good ideas for coffee filters! :) I've used them for fine straining, as others have mentioned, now I will have more uses for them.

But back to topic of clam chowder, I love it! :yum: There are some good ideas here for those of us who don't have access to fresh clams. Well, we have them here, but don't know as I'd buy them this far inland. :)

This thread added to my grocery list today. Tomorrow, Clam Chowder for me, Potato Soup for Shrek.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom