How to make the best clam chowder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope it comes out well for you. I'm looking forward to you making it.

Thanks! :)

And I just mentioned it to Ollie - he made a face - (sort of like this > :ermm:) but he has agreed to try it! I will report back with both of our reactions! I think Tuesday will be the day. ;)

I'm pretty sure she does by now.
Obviously cherry stones is not a common term amongst Brits when referring to clams ;)

Don't you knoe what cherry stone clams are?

How would she know? When just cherry stones, without mentioning they were clams, was stated, I can see where Katy was confused. It makes sense that she thought cherry stones from actual cherries were the ingredient. We speak different languages, even though they're both English!

How would she know? When just cherry stones, without mentioning they were clams, was stated, I can see where Katy was confused. It makes sense that she thought cherry stones from actual cherries were the ingredient. We speak different languages, even though they're both English!

We do! ;)

I know my comment caused huge amusement (and I don't mind at all). It was a genuine misunderstanding.

Part of being on sites like this for me is all about learning new things.

Clams are simply not a part of the general British diet. (Though I am sure you can find them here.)

I don't always base my food profile on something that was (according to you) made nearly 300 years ago. Nor did I mention cornstarch anywhere.
Really, where do you come up with this stuff? Can't you give someone advice without sniping all the time? What is it, my turn today?

My apologies. I should have written that in the third person. Which is as it was intended I did not mean for it to come across as a personal attack. :angel:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I would have responded sooner but I can't stop laughing. and it is hard to see with tears running down my face.

Cherry stones are a name we give to hard shell clams. There are soft shell, little necks, quahogs, etc. They are different sizes. The quahogs which are the largest are difficult to open and are often cut up and mixed with breadcrumbs or other filler, placed back into the washed shell and baked. The cherry stones can often be used for fried clams or chowder. The smallest are soft shells and are just babies. Clammers (people who did clams for a living) put them back to grow some more. :angel:

We get goeducks here which are several times larger than quahogs. There is no real meat on the inside but the clams proboscus can extend 3 feet or more and is all meat, it shrinks to 12 inches when hiding. You have to soak and peel it then chop them. Thay are mostly eaten sliced thin and raw for sushi. They make great chowder though. Pretty expensive if you don't harvest them yourself which is quite a job and dirty. You basically get dropped off on a sand bar in low tide and dig 3-4 feet down while your hole keeps collapsing the whole time.You get your face in the mud and reach in grab this thing that feels like a .........I'll leave your imagination to the rest.You are standing in 3 feet of water by the end of low tide 1/2 mile from shore waiting for a boat to come get you.It is pretty crazy but fun.

Last edited:
We get goeducks here which are several times larger than quahogs. There is no real meat on the inside but the clams proboscus can extend 3 feet or more and is all meat, it shrinks to 12 inches when hiding. You have to soak and peel it then chop them. Thay are mostly eaten sliced thin and raw for sushi. They make great chowder though. Pretty expensive if you don't harvest them yourself which is quite a job and dirty. You basically get dropped off on a sand bar in low tide and dig 3-4 feet down while your hole keeps collapsing the whole time.You get your face in the mud and reach in grab this thing that feels like a .........I'll leave your imagination to the rest.You are standing in 3 feet of water by the end of low tide 1/2 mile from shore waiting for a boat to come get you.It is pretty crazy but fun.

They skeeve me!

How are those steamed and dippped in butter?
:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

They skeeve me!

I am pretty sure they "skeeve" me too! (as in they are truly repulsive?)

I was in true horror when I first saw a geoduck on TV (I actually thought it was some kind of hoax!)

But no. They exist. (And personally, I think we should let them exist and not actually eat them.)

And if geoducks are a type of clam.... I am going right off the idea of clam chowder... :ermm:

We do! ;)

I know my comment caused huge amusement (and I don't mind at all). It was a genuine misunderstanding.

Part of being on sites like this for me is all about learning new things.

Clams are simply not a part of the general British diet. (Though I am sure you can find them here.)
Sorry Katy, I did now mean any offense. It was me who was thinking, "New Hampshire" Forgive me, Joey

:LOL: Bet they'd either be kinda grayish-white (New England) or red (Manhattan)....

Dawg, the funny thing about Manhattan chowder. The recipe was actually developed by the Portuguese Fishing Community in Rhode Island. Go figure. But Manhattan can claim it if they so choose to. :angel:

Sorry Katy, I did now mean any offense. It was me who was thinking, "New Hampshire" Forgive me, Joey

Hi Joey

Misunderstandings happen. (There is nothing to forgive.) :)

Hello. I am Katy and I live in the south of England in a county called Hampshire.

It's kind of rural! (There is coastline but no seafood really.) I can get hold of buffalo though - there is a herd in the county!) :) (And the buffalo mozzarella is superb!) I adore cheese. (As some people here may have already spotted.) :rolleyes:

Pleased to meet you. :)

Katy

I don't eat clam chowder as I developed an allergy to clams in my late teens. SO and I make do with fish chowder.

Chowder is a soup made with salt pork, dairy, potato and a name ingredient such as clams, corn or fish. Additional thickeners should not be added. The dairy and starch from the potatoes will provide any thickening needed. Sadly, many chowder purveyors and their customers in this area equate thickness with goodness.

If you want to add corn to your chowder, go ahead and do it. Replace the salt pork with bacon if you like. Double cream will make it extra rich and creamy.

Back
Top Bottom