Hungarian Goulash Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve, I may have missed something. You make this with cabbage instead of kraut but add vinegar at the end to replace the tang of the kraut that you miss. Is there a reason to use cabbage in place of the kraut?

Maybe if you are like me and can't stand sauerkraut. ;)

I added a generous splash of Pepper cider vinegar at the end.

Last edited:
Steve, I may have missed something. You make this with cabbage instead of kraut but add vinegar at the end to replace the tang of the kraut that you miss. Is there a reason to use cabbage in place of the kraut?
Three reasons, really. First, for the last 20+ years I made this recipe for two people in the house who hated sauerkraut, but would tolerate cabbage. Second, most of the traditional recipes call for cabbage, or sometimes potatoes, or both. My aunt is the one who modified her recipe to use sauerkraut.

Last... I only make a limited amount of sauerkraut every year, so I don't always have a lot of it in the pantry (I won't buy it in the store because the flavor just isn't the same). Cabbage, on the other hand, is usually dirt cheap and available year round.

That all makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

I'm going to give this a try. I have almost all the ingredients in house.

A question to all who have made this soup.

Did you all use pork or beef????

Thanks Kayelle. Did you use beef broth with the beef?

I used beef (chuck roast), but I still used chicken stock (3 cups home made as that was all I had, and one cup Swansons low sodium stock). With all of the other flavorings that go into it, you'd never know what stock I used. I used a dry Spanish white for the wine (and then drank half the bottle while the soup simmered). Chicken stock and white wine may seem wrong with beef, but believe me, it was delicious.

Last edited:
I used beef (chuck roast), but I still used chicken stock (3 cups home made as that was all I had, and one cup Swansons low sodium stock). With all of the other flavorings that go into it, you'd never know what stock I used. I used a dry Spanish white for the wine (and then drank half the bottle while the soup simmered). Chicken stock and white wine may seem wrong with beef, but believe me, it was delicious.

I'd agree with that. The subtle stock flavor would have little difference with the end result.

Thanks for responding guys. I'm going to make it with chuck and beef broth. Probably use red wine. If I think about goulash (not this soup) it's made with beef.

I happen to own this cookbook; got it when I lived in Germany so many years ago. This is the recipe I make but don't make the dumplings. I cook spatzel (dried German product bought at commissary) and serve on the side.

This is authentic but think there are as many recipes as mom's and grandmother's that make it.

I usually use sirloin tips or quality stew meat. Chuck can be hit or miss.

https://vintagecookbooktrials.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/cauldron-goulash-and-galuskas/

Last edited:
I happen to own this cookbook; got it when I lived in Germany so many years ago. This is the recipe I make but don't make the dumplings. I cook spatzel (dried German product bought at commissary) and serve on the side.

This is authentic but think there are as many recipes as mom's and grandmother's that make it.

I usually use sirloin tips or quality stew meat. Chuck can be hit or miss.

https://vintagecookbooktrials.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/cauldron-goulash-and-galuskas/
That looks pretty authentic. It's surprising to a lot of people that goulash was originally more like a stew.

As to whether to use beef, pork, or something else, it's completely up to the individual. Make it out of whatever you like. Goulash translates to "herdsman", so it could be made with any type of herded animal (I'm not sure pigs are herded, but there ya go). There are many, many variations made by families in eastern Europe.

That looks pretty authentic. It's surprising to a lot of people that goulash was originally more like a stew.

As to whether to use beef, pork, or something else, it's completely up to the individual. Make it out of whatever you like. Goulash translates to "herdsman", so it could be made with any type of herded animal (I'm not sure pigs are herded, but there ya go). There are many, many variations made by families in eastern Europe.

It would probably be pretty good with mutton. I may pass this on to my friends in the Bahamas who make dishes with goat regularly (it's listed as mutton on the menu). I think it would be a hit at their restaurant.

I made this soup tonight using pork and chicken broth. DELICIOUS!!

As it was cooking, SO suggested I should have made a half recipe in case we don't like it. I'm glad I didn't because we both liked it a lot!

Thank you Steve and thank you to your great aunt.

Can someone please tell me how much this makes, either servings or volume
Looking at the amount of liquid (4 cups broth, 1/2 cup wine, 1/4 cup vinager, plus 1/2 cabbage), I'm thinking 1.5 litres? Maybe a generous two litres with the tomatoes, meat & cabbage juices?
I just got a whole pork shoulder at costco, think I'll make this! once the weather cools down a bit, maybe next week. Still summer temps here in BC.

Looking at the amount of liquid (4 cups broth, 1/2 cup wine, 1/4 cup vinager, plus 1/2 cabbage), I'm thinking 1.5 litres? Maybe a generous two litres with the tomatoes, meat & cabbage juices?
I just got a whole pork shoulder at costco, think I'll make this! once the weather cools down a bit, maybe next week. Still summer temps here in BC.
I haven't looked at Steve's recipe in a while. I actually make this recipe with 6 cups of broth. That seems to make it a nice hearty soup.

Back
Top Bottom