Hungarian Sauerkraut Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Hungarian Sauerkraut Soup

4 smoked ham hocks or smoked pork knuckles
1 ring smoked kielbasa
1 lb. sauerkraut - rinsed
1/2 oz. dried mushrooms
1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans
10 c. water
2 Tbls. Flour and Crisco (vegetable shortening)
Hungarian paprika, salt and ground pepper to taste

Place hocks in water and bring to boil. Add mushrooms, kielbasa and beans. Simmer 1 hour. Add sauerkraut and cook for 1/2 hour. Brown flour in Crisco and add 1/2 c. water. Simmer till blended and then add to soup. Turn off and let stand. Remove kielbasa and hocks. Cut kielbasa into rounds, remove meat from hocks and add back to soup.

it sounds so yummy! you're welcome! i need to go buy crisco... should i mix with the flour & crumble into the soup?

it sounds so yummy! you're welcome! i need to go buy crisco... should i mix with the flour & crumble into the soup?
Brown flour in melted Crisco and add 1/2 c. water, mix well. Simmer till well blended and then add to soup.

thanks!!! soups gonna hafta hold in my fridge, though, jake's working late & i'm exhausted. :0

thanks!!! soups gonna hafta hold in my fridge, though, jake's working late & i'm exhausted. :0
it will taste better after sitting awhile. i am exhausted also only had 3 hours sleep since yesterday morning.

wow! you must be sleepy.
soup's usually better after fridging it- 'specially ham & cabbage.

wow! you must be sleepy.
soup's usually better after fridging it- 'specially ham & cabbage.
would you like my recipe for Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage? i made it about 3 weeks ago

if it contains meat, absolutely! thanks a million! i LOVE my Dad's cabbage rolls.....
ok you got it!!

Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
2 rings smoked kielbasa - 1 ring chopped small for filling, 1 ring sliced into rounds for layers.
1 lg. onion - chopped fine
3 lg. cloves garlic - chopped fine
2 Tbls. Hungarian paprika - or to taste
1 Tbls. Dry parsley
1 Tbls. salt
1 Tbls. Ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. MSG (optional)
2 lg. cans Sacramento tomato juice
2 lg. bags sauerkraut, save juice
2 lg. heads cabbage

Par cooked rice - ¾ c. rice, 1 c. water and 1/2 tsp. salt - mix together, bring to boil. Turn off, cover and let sit while you prep the rest.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.

Core head of cabbage, place in boiling water and ladle water into core. BE VERY CAREFUL! Remove leaves as they separate and plunge into large bowl of ice and water. Save small center leaves. Drain leaves and remove center ribs from leaves. Chop ribs and small center leaves.

Make layers: Layer some of the sauerkraut, then a layer of chopped cabbage ribs and leaves and then a layer of sliced kielbasa rounds in bottom of lg. Dutch oven (or 2). (if you have any filling left over from the leaves layer it with the kraut and kielbasa layers)

Mix beef, pork, spices, 1 ring kielbasa (chopped small), onion, garlic and rice (save any liquid). Mix well.

Lightly pack a small handful of the meat mixture and place in the center of a cabbage leaf. Fold top part of leaf over mixture, then fold in the sides and roll until mixture is completely encased. Lay rolls on top of sauerkraut and sliced kielbasa layers in pot. Repeat the layers and rolls till pot is almost full. Ending with a kielbasa layer. Fill pot with the kraut juice and tomato juice (and any rice liquid).

Cover pot and simmer 1 - 1 ½ hours or until filling is completely cooked. Add more tomato juice if needed.

thanks! i'm printing your recipe in a few. sounds great!
you're welcome these 2 recipes are family recipes (my aunt's MIL).

glad you like them. just be sure the pork is completely cooked before eating. the secret to this recipe is the tomato JUICE (Sacramento brand is the best) not sauce.

Back
Top Bottom