I want to make French Onion Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mariacookie

Assistant Cook
Hi, I am looking for a great recipe for French onion soup, got any good ones? If so, let me know. Thanks a lot!

Hi Mariacookie!

Welcome to DiscussCooking. This recipe is the best French Onion Soup recipe I have ever had. The Port I buy is just about $4.00 a bottle and the Burgundy I buy is in a box - it lasts longer that way and I like to cook with it.

FRENCH ONION SOUP

3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon oil
3 large onions - sliced **see note
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons flour
5 (16-ounce) cans beef broth
2 1/2 cans water (empty broth cans)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup Port wine
3/4 cup Burgundy wine
French bread
Mozzarella, Gruyere or Swiss cheese

In large soup pot, melt the butter with the oil. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add sugar and flour, cook for 1 minute. Add beef broth, water, salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in wines, simmer for 2 hours.

Preheat broiler To Serve: Pour into onion soup crocks. Place a piece of French bread on top. Cover bread with choice of cheese. Place in oven and broil until cheese is melted and bubbly.

***Note - I do use a combination of yellow onion, red onion, and leeks. It makes for a really smooth flavor using all 3 of them. Last time I used 2 yellow, 2 red, and 3 leeks. You can't have too many onions in my opinion! LOL I did make a mistake but only once! I thought it would really be good if it cooked for a long time - NOPE - when I took the top off the onions had all "melted" but the broth sure was good! LOL

Also, do not add more Port or Burgundy than the recipe calls for (I know this from experience too!). It makes the broth too sweet.

Enjoy and come back and visit soon!

Applebee's Baked French Onion Soup

I found this French Onion Soup recipe online under "copycat center" at www.recipelink.com that sounds really good.

APPLEBEE'S BAKED FRENCH ONION SOUP

3 T. vegetable oil
6 medium white onions, sliced
8 c. beef broth (Swanson is recommended)
1 c. water
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
5 plain hamburger buns
10 slices provolone cheese
10 tsp. shredded Parmesan cheese

Add 3 tablespoons oil to a large soup pot or saucepan over medium/high heat. Add the sliced onions and sauté for 20 minutes until the onions begin to soften and start to become translucent. You don't want them to brown.

Add the beef broth, water, salt, garlic powder and black pepper to the pan and bring mixture to a boil. When soup begins to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.

To make the croutons cut off the top half of each top of the hamburger bun so that the bread is the same thickness as the bottom half of each bun. Throw the tops away. Now you should have 10 round pieces of bread - five bottom buns, and five top buns with the tops cut off.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place the bread in the the oven directly on the rack and bake for 15-20 minutes or until each piece is golden brown and crispy. Set these croutons aside until you need them.
When the soup is done, spoon about 1 cup into an oven-safe bowl. Float a crouton on top of the soup, then place a slice of provolone cheese on top of the crouton.

Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of shredded Parmesan cheese over the provolone. Place the bowl into your oven set to high broil.

Broil the soup for 5-6 minutes or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown (you may need to broil longer if you are making more than one bowl at a time).

Sprinkle an additional 1/2 teaspoon of shredded Parmesan cheese over the top of the soup and serve. Repeat process to prepare remaining servings.

Makes 10 servings.

Maria, my recipe is sort of slapdash...but easy to do.

Brown a bunch of beef bones in your oven for about an hour. Toss them in your stock pot and cover with water. While this is simmering, slice whatever onions you have around (I use multiplier onions as they are very flavourful in soup). Toss the onions into some olive oil and saute them until just starting to go golden. Throw this into your beef stock.

Let this sit and simmer all day. About an hour before you are ready to serve, taste the soup. Season with salt accordingly, and toss in a big splash of either sherry or red wine (if using red wine, also throw in a handful of brown sugar).

Hopefully you will have some leftover french bread that has gone stale, but if not...just toast some of whatever you have. Ladle some soup into your bowls...place the bread on top (try to make sure it fills the whole top) and liberally sprinkle mozzarella or pizza mix cheese on top. Melt under the broiler and serve. Even my kids eat this!

Oh...maybe they aren't called that everywhere. They are little onions about the size of a walnut...not pearl onions though. These are yellow, and they are pretty powerful. When you plant them they multiply (thus the name) and you get about 4 to an original onion bulb. Is there another name for these little guys? Anyone?

Thanks Alix. After I read your answer, I looked them up on Copernic. Evidently they grow them in the U.S., known as Potato Onions. But the thing I read said that the stores don't sell them. I guess you have to grow your own or buy them from a farmer or roadside stand! I think I also saw one type of multiplier onion at another site called Egyptian Onions.

:) Barbara

Well cool beans Barbara! We grow our own at my MIL's place. Thanks for giving me the other names. I am sure that will make life easier for others on the boards.

I just love French Onion Soup. My favorite is from Fridays Restaurant. Thank you for the recipes. Something tells me that I'll be making one of these soups over the next few days. Even though it's June the temperatures here are more like Autumn. This would be great for this kind of weather.

Polly-Esther,

You obviously don't live in South Carolina then--we are having very summery (HOT) weather right now!

I love French Onion Soup and can't wait to try these as well.

:) Barbara

These are some great sounding French Onion Soup recipes, I especially like the roasted beef bone recipe! The weather is cooling here in New England and I am going to make this and blueberry pie for supper tomorrow night. It is my best friends birthday and she loves both! I am going to mix spanish and vadiala onions for strength and sweetness. Thanks for the tips!

Grammadee {(^..^)}

These are some great sounding French Onion Soup recipes, I especially like the roasted beef bone recipe! The weather is cooling here in New England and I am going to make this and blueberry pie for supper tomorrow night. It is my best friends birthday and she loves both! I am going to mix spanish and vadiala onions for strength and sweetness. Thanks for the tips!

Grammadee {(^..^)}

In tribute to Julia Child, I have to post her recipe for French Onion soup, wihch I love to death!

ONION SOUP

3T butter
1T oil
6 cups thin sliced onions
½ tsp. sugar
1tsp. salt
2T flour
1 cup white wine
2 quarts beef stock
salt/pepper

Melt butter and oil in stockpot; stir in onions; cover and cook slowly 15-20 minutes til onions are soft; raise heat to medium high, stir in sugar and sat, and stir til onions have turned a deep brown. Lower heat to meidum and blend in flour and cook 2-3 minutes; stir in stock and wine. Season, bring to boil, simmer 30 minutes. Pace in bowls, cover with toasted French bread and gruyere cheese, and bake at 425 for 30 minutes.

Bon appetit!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom