ISO a few specific soup recipes, help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcduff1979

Assistant Cook
Hi there,

I'm looking for a few soup recipes and prefer the "homemade" versions to ones in recipe books as they tend to have a few family tweaks.

I'm looking for a minestrone, scotch broth, and country soup.

also if anyone has any good winter soups please point me in the right direction

thanks

tom

Check out KopyKat's Olive Garden Pasta e Fagiole. Fantastic. Makes a lot, but freezes well. Emeril Lagesse also has a good pasta e fagiole recipe.

If you can wait for 24 hours I can get my Scottish mother in laws Scotch broth recipe.

Scotch Broth is what introduced me to barley. Now I won't have a beef stew without it. My favorite grain.

Scotch Broth is what introduced me to barley. Now I won't have a beef stew without it. My favorite grain.

this has me curious, never put it in stew, but then not great with stews, do u happen to have a recipe for the stew you make?

I'm trying to broaden my kids minds with different foods

this has me curious, never put it in stew, but then not great with stews, do u happen to have a recipe for the stew you make?

I'm trying to broaden my kids minds with different foods

I soak about 1/2 cup of barley overnight. Check for stones or any foreign objects. Next day:

Put some oil or grease in a stock pot. Allow to heat up. Saute cut up pieces of beef into 2-3 inches cubes. Allow to brown on all sides. Remove meat from pan and place aside. Saute finely diced onions. Remove any excessive fat. Place meat back into the stock pot. Drain barely of any excess water. Add to pan with meat. Just cover with water and/or beef stock. You can add carrots, celery, peas or any non starch veggie of your choice. While the liquid is heating up, scrape any fond from the bottom of the pan. That is where all the flavor is.

Add some Beef Better Than Bullion to the liquid. Bullion cubes can be used as a substitute. Once the broth comes to a boil, reduce heat to a very gentle simmer. Stir occasionally. Replace liquid if needed. Stew is done when you can smush a couple of grains of barley against the side of the pot with ease. It should be creamy. Before serving, add about one teaspoon of Kitchen Bouquet or Gravy Master for color. Stir. You don't need potatoes as the barley is your starch. And it will provide some thickness to the broth.

thanks ill give that a try with its british counter parts, but sounds tasty, tho needs potatoes and dumplings :yum:

But then it doesnt become Scotch Broth if you use another meat. I can give you redipe on Scottish lentil soup instead.

But then it doesnt become Scotch Broth if you use another meat. I can give you redipe on Scottish lentil soup instead.

Besides some folks not liking lamb, It seems that lamb necks are scarce here and probably require ordering online.

Well scotch broth is a lamb soup, there are other Scottish soups with no lamb, like cockaleekie, lentil soup ( veg or pork) or Cullen skink.

Why make a lamb soup if you dont like lamb?
I guess you can take other parts of the lamb.

How about a good minestrone:

My friend Carmela gave me this recipe, and it's easy to do:

Carrots, celery, onions, all chopped fine. Put into the soup pan with best quality olive, chopped garlic, chopped fresh sage, basil, thyme and rosemary.

Chop your vegetables into small cubes: potatoes, green beans, peas (which you don't chop, obviously) 1 can cannellini beans, 1 can borlotti beans,2 zucchini, chopped into cubes, FRESH tomatoes about 250g chopped fine. Water, no stock, but that's up to you.

Put the first batch of ingredients into the pan with good quality olive oil, and sweat until mainly transparent. Have the other vegetables prepared and ready to go into the pan. Put the tomatoes in last. Simmer it all down until you get a soup that is thickish, but it shouldn't be totally thick.

Season and serve with good French bread, and grated parmesan on the side.

Always love those who are nearest to you. They are only here for a season.

di reston

How about a good minestrone:

My friend Carmela gave me this recipe, and it's easy to do:

Carrots, celery, onions, all chopped fine. Put into the soup pan with best quality olive, chopped garlic, chopped fresh sage, basil, thyme and rosemary.

Chop your vegetables into small cubes: potatoes, green beans, peas (which you don't chop, obviously) 1 can cannellini beans, 1 can borlotti beans,2 zucchini, chopped into cubes, FRESH tomatoes about 250g chopped fine. Water, no stock, but that's up to you.

Put the first batch of ingredients into the pan with good quality olive oil, and sweat until mainly transparent. Have the other vegetables prepared and ready to go into the pan. Put the tomatoes in last. Simmer it all down until you get a soup that is thickish, but it shouldn't be totally thick.

Season and serve with good French bread, and grated parmesan on the side.

Always love those who are nearest to you. They are only here for a season.

di reston
A medium sized ditilini (tubitini is to small) pasta added is also good. Sometimes I add cabbage and/or spinach.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom