ISO Barley Soup recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poutine

Senior Cook
I would like a recipe for barley soup
(beef and barley or any other barley soup).
Thanks
:)

:LOL: You take the barley, dump them so nobody could find them;) then you make any soup you like, all set. :)

Sorry, I hate barley. In the army I had them 6 times per week. You can imagine how much I must like them after 2 years. :sick:

I love barley! I've used the recipe off the back of the bag with good success. Note: Do NOT add more barley than it says, no matter how thick you like it. You will end up with cement in the pot! Not that I've ever done that! :angel:

There is a great recipe for beef barley soup on AllRecipes.com. I would link you to it if I could figure out how!

Loprraine
I buy barley bulk so there are no recipes.

PytnPlace
You just need to highlight the web site address of the recipe, "copy" it, then "paste" it on your message. If you want to get really fancy you highlight this address you just pasted here then click on the symbol that looks like a globe with an 8 on its side - you paste the address in there and you will get the blue underline link thing that we can just click on.

vvvvvvv urmaniac13 explains it much better vvvvvv ;)

From urmaniac13
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f29/tips-and-tricks-to-posting-creating-links-etc-31590.html
"
To create a link...

Highlight the full url of the page that you want to link to. Copy.

Go to your reply box, select(highlight) the word or phrase where you want to make a link (have underlined), then click on the globe icon with a chain on top of the reply box, shown below

img_395808_0_edea567d94dfb1e616a32966d04311e8.jpg

Then see this box popping up,

img_395808_1_795cce1de9ff37d46063d7f0afc2f22c.jpg

Here you paste the url of the page. Hit okay.

Now the link is created!
smile.gif

"

Last edited:
Beef Barley Vegetable Soup - Allrecipes

I think it worked! Thanks for the help Poutine! This is the recipe I use, with modifications. Somewhere in there is my review. I don't use frozen veggies (I add fresh cut green beans and corn and or peas instead), Instead of the tomatoes I use a homemade tomato sauce that I make at the end of the summer and freeze. It would be similar to V8 juice. And I double the beef broth.

I remember one time, I cooked a roast all day, and decided I didn't want roast.... :mad: yeah, women. I added enough beef broth to make soup consistency, and added barley. Chopped up the carrots, celery, and potatoes, and it was great. I may have added a little flour to thicken the broth a little. sorry it's not a real recipe, rather a recollection of something I tried, but cooking a roast in the crock pot seems to yield really good broth for a soup starter IMO. :) We always have barley on hand- my daughter eats it like rice, and seems to prefer the chewier texture.

Here are a couple of my beef/lamb barley soup tricks:
Soak the barley in Guinness Stout overnight (I know you don't have to soak barley but it gives it a great flavor).
I use both ground lean meat & cubed meat.
Sometimes instead of browning, I sear the meat on a very hot bbq grille.
I love turnips in addition to the usual veggies.

Last edited:
A word of caution; My first atempt at barley soup was wonderful tasting. But the texture was definitely wrong.:( I had purchased rolled barley, not knowing the difference between it and pearl barley. I added what seemed like a reasonable amount. I didn't really measure, or follow a recipe. The seasonings were perfect. The flavor wsa great. The veggies were cooked just right and the meat was tender and juicy. But the soup became porridge instead of soup. The rolled barley, with the amount I had added, gave the dish the consistancy of cooked oatmeal. As I said, it tasted great and would have been a wonderful dish, if I had wanted beef-flavored porridge.:LOL: It was hot and really warmed the tummy. Being savory, it worked for the evening meal. But no one really wanted seconds except me. I'll eat almost anything if it tastes ok.

Use pearl barley and follow the package directions to get the right amount of grain for the amount of soup you are making.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom