ISO Butternut Squash Soup Rec.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
Does anyone have a recipe WITHOUT chicken broth?
I would love to try it, but, that is way too much sodium.

Well, I found a recipe for vegetable stock, so, I'm gonna try it, lol

Does anyone have a recipe WITHOUT chicken broth?
I would love to try it, but, that is way too much sodium.

Well, I found a recipe for vegetable stock, so, I'm gonna try it, lol
Stacy, you can get chicken broth that is low sodium, remember you don't have to add any salt so it should work...I have to watch salt and my dietitian suggested the low sodium, she said the no sodium was yukky:LOL: If you are making your own veggie broth that will be great.
kades

Cool, thank you!!!
I bought some fresh veggies to make a stock with. Sweet onions, carrots, garlic, tomatoes, yellow and orange bells. I am going to roast those long enough to carmelize, then, boil them and get a broth from it. I will figure out what to do with the veggies once I strain them from the broth. I can't wait to try this. I am a veggie pig!!!

One more question. How long will it last??
It has the following in it.
Roasted veggie broth, I removed the carrots, then blended the onion, tomatoes and bells and mixed with the butternut squash, which is also roasted.

here's one I tried this year and really liked:

mirepoix (onion carrot celery about 1 cup 1/2 cup 1/4 cup in that order chopped)

6-8 cloves garlic peeled and sauteed in 1/4 cup olive oil until soft and caramelized.

2 lbs butternut squash cubed

3 cups broth or stock (veg, chix, your choice)

1 1/2 tblspn fresh sage minced

salt pepper dry sherry

saute the garlic gently, then use the oil to saute the mirepoix until lightly caramelized.

add the squash, sage garlic and broth and bring to a simmer and hold at simmer for 30 minutes.

puree the soup (either bit by bit in a blender or food processor or with an immersion blender) taste and add salt and pepper as you like. Stir in 1/4 cup dry sherry and garnish with fresh sage leaves.

(red pepper flakes are optional, I add a small shake at the sautee of the mirepoix)

When I make soup, I use my own chicken soup and do not add any salt and then, I use it to make other soups. My folks had to watch their sodium and I became sensitive to it. I know it is extra work but it tastes so much better than the new low sodium cartons of chicken stock that I have bought.

When I make soup, I use my own chicken soup and do not add any salt and then, I use it to make other soups. My folks had to watch their sodium and I became sensitive to it. I know it is extra work but it tastes so much better than the new low sodium cartons of chicken stock that I have bought.

that's what I did. I roasted veggies instead though and made vegetable stock. Turned out pretty good.

that's what I did. I roasted veggies instead though and made vegetable stock. Turned out pretty good.
Stacy did you just roast in the oven? About how long? You have me interested I love making stock or broth to use when I cook...
kades

Stacy did you just roast in the oven? About how long? You have me interested I love making stock or broth to use when I cook...
kades

I roasted in the oven at 450. I tossed them with some EVOO and then stirred them around about every 15-20 minutes until they were soft, about 45 minutes or an hour. Then I put them in 8 cups of water, recipe calls for a gallon, but, I didn't need that much and didn't use as many veggies, didn't want to waste, and boiled until 1/2.
It turned out good. The only thing I missed was celery. I forgot it and didn't have that flavor and it would have made it better.

When I can I make my own stock, for the same reasons: I don't like all that sodium. I have as yet to find any in the store (regular or low sodium) that I like. Their chicken or beef stock or broth or whatever either has no taste or tastes too much of salt.
I did find this beef broth 'paste' that I tried out, and I do really like it. You mix it with water and boil up. Not too salty, label says there is not that much sodium in it, but man tons of flavor comes out of! It is called L.B. Jamison's Soup Base, good for soups, stews, gravies, and sauces. I do not, however, use the amount they suggest, I use slightly less (about 2/3).
I also used it as a base for a marinade for some steaks I made, then turned around and added onions and mushrooms to it after I cooked up the steaks to make a soup.

I roasted in the oven at 450. I tossed them with some EVOO and then stirred them around about every 15-20 minutes until they were soft, about 45 minutes or an hour. Then I put them in 8 cups of water, recipe calls for a gallon, but, I didn't need that much and didn't use as many veggies, didn't want to waste, and boiled until 1/2.
It turned out good. The only thing I missed was celery. I forgot it and didn't have that flavor and it would have made it better.
Thanks Stacy,
I just got celery. and a bunch of different veggies, so stock wil be made this week...Thank you
kades

This butternut squash soup is amazing with a little hint of curry! It's also a little bit sweet. I would not think of it as salty at all. Very easy to make. Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 white onion, chopped
  • 1 medium sized butternut squash - cubed
  • 1 apple, cut in pieces
  • 1 potato, cubed
  • 1-2 tablespoons mild curry paste
  • 1 small can chicken broth
  • 1 can water
Instructions

1. Saute onion in oil until onion turns clear.
  2. Add squash, apple, potato and paste.
  3. Toss to coat vegetables with paste.
  4. Add chicken broth and water when the contents in the pot are almost boiling.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom