ISO Chicken and Sweetcorn Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richard Sutherland

Assistant Cook
Hello fellow beauties,

I have being cooking this soup for a while now but i have one problem, it simple is not like the kind you get the in the chinese restaurants, i currently use Ainsley Harriet recipe but it seems to spice and not thick enough,

my question to you is where could i find or could you provide me with a recipe that;
  • Provides a thicker soup
  • Not spice
I have tried adding more and more cornflour but just doesnt thicken it no matter how much i add.

Love

Richy

Last edited:
Richy,

I have never made this, so I can't really help, but hopefully someone who has made it can help. Is corn flour the same as corn starch? Are you cooking it long enough to give it a chance to reduce enough to thicken?

:)Barbara

Hi Barbara,

I have tried cooking it exactly as told and when that didnt work i did indeed try extending my cooking time to allow it to reduce but yet to no avial, thanks for your input my little master chef:chef:...

I'm sorry I wasn't much help Richy, but someone with more soup know-how is sure to come along soon!

I am not sure what Ainsley's recipe looks like but here is a recipe I use and it almost always comes out great.

First take a whole chicken and discard the skin and trim the fat
Put that in a dutchoven along with roughly chopped fresh ginger and roughly chopped fresh garlic cloves
Bring the chicken and water to a rapid boil
Then once at a boil, reduce to low and cover and simmer until the chicken is completely cooked.

Remove the chicken and shredd it into thin strands (I like it super thin and it takes time but to me it's worth it). Discard any fat remenants and bones. Reserve the chicken

Strain the chicken stock (liquid chicken is cooking in) and reserve that

Now get a large pack of frozen corn kernels and do the following.

In a medium saucepan or dutchoven add a tbsp of oil. Once it's hot add a few cloves of finely minced garlic to it. Next add the corn and the chicken stock and let it all cook until the corn is tender (30 minutes or so)

Next dump the entire mixture in a blender and blend it until it's smooth. Strain the mixture (we like our soup smooth) and put the strained corn and chicken stock mixture in the same dutchoven. Bring it to a simmer and taste for salt. If the corn is not too sweet you can add a pinch of sugar at this point. Also add 2 tsps of cornstarch to it (mix the cornstarch in water first to break lumps). Slowly stir it in. The soup will thicken relatively fast.

Add the shredded chicken to it. Beat two egg whites and slowly drizzle it in (with a fork) in the simmering soup.

Serve piping hot. We like it hot so I make a chili vinegar and drizzle some of that on the soup before serving it.

To make chili vinegar: you need 1 cup of white vinegar and then add a finely chopped green chili to it. Let it sit for an hour and the vinegar will turn hot. A little drizzle of this to the soup adds a nice tang and a bit of spice.

Are you certain it's not egg drop soup? A yellowish, corn tasting, thick cornstarch consistency? Or could it be a corn chowder with chicken broth?

Thanks Yakuta, looks good, quite similiar to the way i do it but i cooked the chicken allready cut into fine pieces and i added the yoke of the egg as well, i will give your recipe a go, wish me luck.

Thanks Chefs

Rich:chef:

Richy,

I have never made this, so I can't really help, but hopefully someone who has made it can help. Is corn flour the same as corn starch? Are you cooking it long enough to give it a chance to reduce enough to thicken?

Yep, cornstarch and corn flour are the same thing. In the UK it's called corn flour.

Try this, it comes from "Chinese Soup Recipes.com" and it's exactly what I get in Chinese restaurants. You might leave out the rendered chicken fat, but it does make a richer tasting soup.

Chinese Recipe : Corn Soup

Serves 4

Ingredients:

1 can corn (creamy style)
1 oz. ham
6 cups chicken stock
2 egg whites
1 chicken fillet

Seasoning:
½ tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
1 tbsp rice wine
Dash of MSG

3 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in cold water
1 tsp rendered chicken fat

Directions:

1. Remove the sinew from the chicken fillet and grind 4 times (you may mince with a knife). Add the egg whites little by little and mix.

2. Chop the ham finely.

3. Bring the chicken stock to boil in a pan, add the corn and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the scum and season with the seasoning ingredients. Pour in the cornstarch dissolved in water to thicken. Stir with a ladle adding the minced chicken fillet gradually.
4. When the chicken is cooked, drop in the rendered fat and pour in the content into a soup bowl. Drop in the shredded ham in the center of the bowl.

Last edited:
Wow your all very experienced in this soup, i have one more problem...the cornstarch it just never seems to thicken the soup at all i always premix it in a cup with cold water and iv tried adding 1tsp up to 3-4tbsp but it just wont thicken...what am i doing wrong????

Rich:chef:

When you add cornstarch it takes a bit to thicken the soup. Do you let the soup simmer or boil a bit after adding the cornstarch. The cornstarch needs to cook in order for it to thicken.

If it still does not work then I am not sure.

When all else fails grind up some minute Tapioca real fine and add to you soup. let come to a boil for 4-5 minutes this will thicken even the hardest soups to get thick. Trust me
I have been making 100drds of soups for 45 yrs.

Back
Top Bottom