"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 11-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to magnoliasouth
Question ISO creamer alternative for soup?

I found this recipe which sounds interesting, except that I don't like the creamer ingredient since it has no nutritional value.

I suppose I could use non-fat dry milk, but how much should I use to make it as creamy as the creamer? Or should I just forgo the whole thing and find something else?

Old 11-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Frankly that sounds awful (sorry). How about a cake or cookies in a jar?

Old 11-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Cook

>>don't like the creamer ingredient since it has no nutritional value.

uhmmm, there's a lotta' that issue in the recipe.

½ cup imitation bacon bits - what "nutrition" is there - it's basically artifical flavorings

½ cup powdered cheese sauce mix - no info posted for this; sounds a bit like chemical cheese.

1 tbsp dried parsley flakes - nutritional value is:

1 tbsp chicken boullion granules - that's chicken flavored salt

if you want to make something nutritional, start with anything not labeled "instant"

obviously there is not salt dietary issue -

for "low fat" there's any number of possibilities, but "nutritionally instant" is a tough one for out of the chem lab.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
Master Chef

Let me concoct a recipe for a gift jar for you. I haven't maed this in a while, btu it should look great in a jar and is nutritionally sound. Use a pint jar. All ingredients are real and are not artivicial flavors, and can be found at bulk food stores, which makes purchasing the ingredients inexpensive. It's also a good way to make easy food for personal food storage programs.

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. sugar
1 tbs. baking powder
1/3 cup powderd whole egg
1/3 cup powdered milk
1/2 cup dried blueberries

For camping, I'd jsut mix all of the ingredinets together in a plastic bag. Then I only had to add water and 3 tbs. cooking oil and I had perfect blueberry pancakes.

Of course, you cold mix the oil and flour together prior to placing in the jar, which would give you something akin to Bisquick. But know that the shelf life would be reduced. And you can substitue nearly any dried fruit for the blueberries, or leave out fruit altogether. If you triple everything, add cocoa powder, increase the sugar to three cups, then you's ahve a pretty decent chocolate cake mix. Or add cinamon, nutmeg, and ginger to turn it into a spice cake mix. The variations are endless.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to magnoliasouth
Thanks everyone for the responses. :) I guess I'll just chuck the recipe then. It's true that most of it was processed, however soup is what I have to do. There are several that are more nutritious so I'll go with those I think. Thanks very much though again.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
Master Chef

If soups are your specialty, you could easily put together ingredients for split pea, or Canadian split pea using yellow split peas. Lentil soup would be great as well, as would something like veggie soup using freeze dried veggies and meats. Seasonings would just be dried herbs and spices, which you probably already use now. You could also add dried mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, and other such ingredients to a soup in a jar mix.

If soups are your first love, then play with what is available to you and I know you will come up with wonderful soups that you can build, and probably make very attractive in a jar.

Seeeeeya' Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternative, creamer, milk, soups