"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 10-22-2014, 11:36 PM   #11
Executive Chef

jeez, here i go again. i'm still on my soup kick, and am bumping this nine year old thread in search of a simple fish soup recipe. what i have in mind is one that uses a mild white fish, potatoes and dill, with or without cream. can somebody help me with this?

Old 10-22-2014, 11:54 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

the mention of fish, cream and/or milk, and dill screams scandinavian cooking.

you might want to start there.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:04 AM   #13
Executive Chef

okay then, here we go, folks. this should do nicely:

Fish Chowder Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com
Old 10-23-2014, 02:20 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

For really tasty fish chowder, ask your fish monger for the frame of a fish. (What's left over after they filet the whole fish. Head and all.) It makes a really tasty stock. Even the supermarkets do filet whole fish. So they might have one or two. Simmer with carrots, celery, and an onion. No need to peel, just wash first. Then strain through a cheesecloth. Great stock. If you can get more than two, make a large pot of stock and freeze some. You can also make a great seafood stock from the shells of shrimp, crabs, lobster. Next time you go out to eat, take those lobster shells home and place them in the freezer for the next time you want to make a seafood stock. Save those shrimp shells also, the next time you have them on a menu.

BTW, Better Than Bullion has one for clams and lobster.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #15
Master Chef

This is my take on more complicated Russian fish soup.

I buy heads and carcass/bones, or some cheap fish like whole tilapia, but make sure there are bones in it. Bones is what will give you the rich broth. Cook in a pot like as if you are making meat stock. When you think it is ready, strain the broth, discard the bones. Now add some chopped onion, potatoes, carrots, black peppercorn, bay leaves. Salt/pepper to taste. When it is close to be ready, I add chunk of salmon, or halibut, white fish is also fine, but I would recommend fillets. Add fresh dill and parsley. Cook until the fish is just done, do not over cook. Separately cook barely or rice, whichever you like better, add a spoon or two to the bowl when serving.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #16
Executive Chef

thank you bt, addie and charlied for giving me your good fish soup ideas. charlied, halibut and salmon are verrry pricey where i live. they probably won't be making it into my soup pot any time soon....
Old 10-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Tomorrow's recipes for the food photographer include lobster, tuna, rock crab, mussels, and scallops. I have fish stock in the freezer and crab, shrimp, and lobster shells. I just stumbled across a crockpot recipe for seafood chowder that sounds mighty fine. I have to pick up the tuna steaks and mussels from the fishmonger later, I will have to ask if he has any "racks" that I can have to make more fish stock. Thanks, Addie.

The recipe that I'm thinking of making is in the latest issue of Canadian Living. But here is a link to a bunch of seafood/fish chowder recipes for CL:

seafood chowder - Search Results - Canadian Living
Old 10-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
thank you bt, addie and charlied for giving me your good fish soup ideas. charlied, halibut and salmon are verrry pricey where i live. they probably won't be making it into my soup pot any time soon....
You only need couple-three small cubes of it. But in any case you can use filet of any fish you like, catfish for example is very easy to filet, there no small bones, unlike white fish, and it is not expensive.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Italian style fish stew:

San Francisco Cioppino Recipe

Ingredients:

· 3/4 cup butter
· 2 medium onion, chopped
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 bunch fresh parsley leaves, minced
· 2 (14.5-ounce) cans plum tomatoes undrained and cup up*
· 2 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
· 2 bay leaves
· 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
· 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
· 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
· 1 1/2 cups dry red or white wine (whichever you prefer)
· 12 small hard-shell clams in shell
· 12 mussels in shell
· 1 1/2 pounds raw extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined**
· 1 1/2 pounds bay scallops
· 1 1/2 pounds fish fillets (halibut, cod, or salmon), cut into bite-size chunks
· 1 1/2 cups flaked Dungeness crab meat
· Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Instructions:

In a Dutch oven over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add onions, garlic, and parsley and sauté until onions are softened. Add the tomatoes, clam juice, bay leaves, basil, thyme, oregano, and wine, bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Scrub clams and mussels with a small stiff brush under cold running water and remove the beards from the mussels. Discard any open clams or mussels. Cover the clams and mussels with cold salted water, let them stand for 5 minutes, and pour off the salted water.
Gently stir the clams, mussels, shrimp, scallops, fish fillets, and crab meat into the prepared stock. Cover the Dutch oven and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes until clams pop open and shrimp are opaque when cut.
Remove the Dutch oven from the heat and ladle the cioppino into large soup bowls for serving.

Korean style fish stew:

Jam Bong

Ingredients:

· 4 sole fillets (ask your fish monger for the bones and trimmings from the fish)
· 6oz shrimp, peeled and de-veined (save the shells, heads and tails)
· 6oz scallops
· 6oz squid or octopus
· 1 onion, diced
· 1 carrot, diced
· 2 scallions, chopped
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 chicken bouillon cube
· 3 to 5 dried red pepper pods, crushed (start with 3)
· 1 bok choy, chopped
· 8 mushrooms, sliced
· 1 Tbs peanut oil
· ˝ cup rice wine
· 3 Tbs soy sauce
· Juice of 1 lemon
· salt and pepper to taste
· bean sprouts

Instructions:

Make fish stock by putting the fish bones and trimmings, and shrimp shells and trimmings, in 1 quart of water with the onion, garlic, carrot, scallions, pepper pods, and bouillon cube. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes, then strain. Taste the stock after 15 minutes to judge the spiciness. Add more pepper pods if necessary. Quarter each fish fillet and poach them in the stock until tender.
In a wok, stir fry the mushrooms and scallions in peanut oil until tender, add the shrimp and the squid or octopus and stir fry for 2 minutes longer. Drain and add them to the stock. Add the rice wine, lemon, soy sauce, and bok choy and continue to boil for two more minutes, until the bok choy is wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in bowls, garnished with bean sprouts.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #20
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Lightbulb

vitauta
I know you said that you wanted to use fish, cream and or milk and dill,
but here's food for thought (HA! I made a funny)
DH and I like this recipe:
Vera Cruz-Style Fish Our Way | My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert
(thought that I'd save everyone time by posting a link )
It's simple, easy and delicious, could easily feed a crowd, I liken it to a fish stew and I serve over rice

Tags
None