"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 05-29-2011, 02:51 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

ISO French Onion Soup recipe, TNT please.

lately, we've gone to a few restaurants that all claim to have the best french onion soup around. i love french onion soup, so i often order it when it's on a menu, especially with such lofty claims.

all were not kidding! we've had some really good french onion soups recently, so i thought i should give it a go at home. the best two so far were at big daddy's bbq in bartonsville, pennsylvania, and at the iron horse restaurant in westwood, n.j..

does anyone have a tnt recipe for their french onion soup? i was thinking of starting on the stove (to carmelize the onions) and finishing in a crock pot if possible.

tia.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

BT here's my adaption of one of Julia's onion soup recipes.

I don't think you'll need slow cooker. It doesn't have to cook that long.

Good luck in your quest.

French Onion Soup

6 C Sliced Onions1
1 Tb Olive Oil
3 Tb Butter
1 tsp Salt
tsp Sugar
3 Tb Flour
8 C Beef Broth
C White Wine
2 Tb Brandy
In Slices if French Bread
Olive Oil
8 Oz Gruyere Cheese, shredded

Peel and slice the onions into thin, short slices.

Heat a large pan and add the oil and butter.

Add the onions and cook over low heat, covered, for 15 minutes.

Add the salt and sugar and stir them into the onions. Raise the heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes, stirring frequently. The onions should be a dark golden brown when done.

Sprinkle the flour onto the onions and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.

Combine the liquids and stir them into the onion mixture. Scrape the bottom of the pan to unstick any cooked on food bits. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.

Spread the slices of bread with olive oil on both sides and toast under the broiler until golden brown.

Ladle the soup into crocks, cover with toasted bread. Divide the cheese among the crocks.

Place the crocks on a cookie sheet and place under the broiler. Broil until the cheese is bubbling.

1 Use one of the sweet varieties of onion, such as Vidalia or Maui. Spanish onions are also a good choice. Four of these onions should equal 6 cups. A combination of different onions can be used.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Everymom

Hey BT, I don't have exact measurements (so use Andy's!) but as an alternative, I slice my onions, toss them with oil and put them on a baking sheet in the oven. I also roast the beef bones in the oven before I make the stock. I don't use sherry, I use either brandy or whatever red wine happens to be open. If the red wine is particularly acidic, I will add a bit of brown sugar to the stock.

I will note that the best way to do the "topping" is to cube up some french bread and let it get thoroughly stale. The cubes are WAY easier to use when broiling the cheese. You can get a more uniform layer. French bread also sucks up the soup the best.

Whatever recipe you choose, make sure you fill the bowls quite full with piping hot soup, top with the cubed bread and leave for a moment to absorb some liquid. Then top with whatever cheese you are using and pop under the broiler just long enough to bubble the cheese.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks very much andy and alix. you guys are the best.

andy, that looks very do-able for me. i can't wait to try it out. maybe later this week. will post results.

alix, thanks for the tips. i like the idea of using bread cubes instead of a big hunk o' bread in the middle. that's the way the restaurant big daddy's bbq in the poconos does it, which i liked very much. no tring to saw off a piece of bread with a spoon.

now i need to find some soup crocks.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
Everymom

Mine are from the dollar store...and they are TOUGH.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:08 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
...no tring to saw off a piece of bread with a spoon...
This is the most annoying part of the process for me. The 'best' way is to buy a big round loaf and use the inverted bowl as a template to cut rounds of bread from slices off the loaf. Then toast the rounds - perfect fit. But it really wrecks a loaf of bread.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I've had crocks on my mind, too. I know I've got somewhere, or used to... but dang if I can find them. I need to Google them I guess, as Kohl's didn't have them.
AB had a Vidialia onion recipe I wanted to try.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

I made it with all vidalias once and didn't care fore the sweetness. I usually go with a mixture of different onion types.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the input, Andy. Maybe I'll just make one crock at a time until I hit on something I like.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Your tastes may differ. Try it.

Tags
onion, recipe, soup

ISO French Onion Soup recipe, TNT please. lately, we've gone to a few restaurants that all claim to have the best french onion soup around. i love french onion soup, so i often order it when it's on a menu, especially with such lofty claims. all were not kidding! we've had some really good french onion soups recently, so i thought i should give it a go at home. the best two so far were at big daddy's bbq in bartonsville, pennsylvania, and at the iron horse restaurant in westwood, n.j.. does anyone have a tnt recipe for their french onion soup? i was thinking of starting on the stove (to carmelize the onions) and finishing in a crock pot if possible. tia. :chef: 3 stars 1 reviews