"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 06-17-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question ISO good garlic soup recipe

has anyone got a nice light garlic soup recipe?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I started out my garlic soup from the post below. I especially like the method of sauteing the garlic. It's a quick way to soften the garlic as if you had roasted it. Keep the heat low. Burned garlic smells and tastes awful.

I made this last time with fresh rosemary and left it as a broth. I'm using the broth today to make oyster/seafood stew.

TAXLADY’S GARLIC SOUP

TAXLADY SAID:

That's funny niquejim. I made garlic soup for the first time tonight too.

I used this recipe: Cream of Garlic Soup

I used mostly chicken stock, with some vegi stock. I added a 1/4 tsp of salt. I cooked the flour for a while before adding the milk and stock.

It was really good. Next time I will use a wooden spoon instead of a whisk. I will also add the flour much sooner than the recipe says, to cook the flour properly without risking over cooking the garlic. I don't want to risk a raw flour taste.

Creamy Garlic Soup is fantastic - I make it quite regularly as it's an easy soup to make and a winner with my fussy boyfriend:

3 tablespoons of butter
3-8 cloves of garlic, crushed (go for fewer cloves first until you find your comfort taste level)
1/4 cup of flour
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups of vegetable stock (I've never tried it with meat stock)
1 tablespoon of chopped parsley (although I've successfully swapped this for dried Bear Ramsons or Oregano)

Melt the butter on a low heat, then add the garlic. Saute for 5-8 minutes until soft but not brown. Whisk in the the flour, then slowly add the milk (whisk constantly). Then add stock and herbs, again whisking slowly. Let it simmer for 7-10 minutes until it begins to thicken and bubble (whisk frequently). Garnish with a little extra parsley if you like, and serve.

The garlic is far less overpowering than you'd imagine (especially if you stick to 3-4 cloves - a little goes a long way) and very very creamy.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Master Chef

I sometimes make a very basic single-serving garlic soup for myself - particularly on a cold dreary day.

All I do is peel 2-4 cloves of garlic, depending on size, & saute them in a small saucepan in a little extra-virgin olive oil until lightly golden brown & slightly softened. I then remove the garlic to my soup bowl & gently but thoroughly squash the cloves with a fork. I then saute/toast a thin piece or pieces of bread (French, Italian, or even plain white in a pinch) in the olive oil left in the saucepan until it's also lightly browned, & add that to the garlic in the soup bowl. Lastly, I add chicken stock to the saucepan, heat that up, & pour it over the garlic & toast in the bowl with salt & pepper to taste. Voila!

Sometimes I'll tweak this with the addition of some chopped tomato or pour one beaten egg into the simmering chicken broth to make a sort of "garlic egg drop" soup.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

thank you both, i'll try them both out and let you know how they go!
Old 06-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like your egg drop soup idea, Breezy. I'll have to try that.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garlic, soup, recipe

ISO good garlic soup recipe has anyone got a nice light garlic soup recipe? 3 stars 1 reviews