ISO good garlic soup recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I started out my garlic soup from the post below. I especially like the method of sauteing the garlic. It's a quick way to soften the garlic as if you had roasted it. Keep the heat low. Burned garlic smells and tastes awful.

I made this last time with fresh rosemary and left it as a broth. I'm using the broth today to make oyster/seafood stew.

TAXLADY’S GARLIC SOUP

TAXLADY SAID:

That's funny niquejim. I made garlic soup for the first time tonight too.

I used this recipe: Cream of Garlic Soup

I used mostly chicken stock, with some vegi stock. I added a 1/4 tsp of salt. I cooked the flour for a while before adding the milk and stock.

It was really good. Next time I will use a wooden spoon instead of a whisk. I will also add the flour much sooner than the recipe says, to cook the flour properly without risking over cooking the garlic. I don't want to risk a raw flour taste.

Creamy Garlic Soup is fantastic - I make it quite regularly as it's an easy soup to make and a winner with my fussy boyfriend:

3 tablespoons of butter
3-8 cloves of garlic, crushed (go for fewer cloves first until you find your comfort taste level)
1/4 cup of flour
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups of vegetable stock (I've never tried it with meat stock)
1 tablespoon of chopped parsley (although I've successfully swapped this for dried Bear Ramsons or Oregano)

Melt the butter on a low heat, then add the garlic. Saute for 5-8 minutes until soft but not brown. Whisk in the the flour, then slowly add the milk (whisk constantly). Then add stock and herbs, again whisking slowly. Let it simmer for 7-10 minutes until it begins to thicken and bubble (whisk frequently). Garnish with a little extra parsley if you like, and serve.

The garlic is far less overpowering than you'd imagine (especially if you stick to 3-4 cloves - a little goes a long way) and very very creamy.

I sometimes make a very basic single-serving garlic soup for myself - particularly on a cold dreary day.

All I do is peel 2-4 cloves of garlic, depending on size, & saute them in a small saucepan in a little extra-virgin olive oil until lightly golden brown & slightly softened. I then remove the garlic to my soup bowl & gently but thoroughly squash the cloves with a fork. I then saute/toast a thin piece or pieces of bread (French, Italian, or even plain white in a pinch) in the olive oil left in the saucepan until it's also lightly browned, & add that to the garlic in the soup bowl. Lastly, I add chicken stock to the saucepan, heat that up, & pour it over the garlic & toast in the bowl with salt & pepper to taste. Voila!

Sometimes I'll tweak this with the addition of some chopped tomato or pour one beaten egg into the simmering chicken broth to make a sort of "garlic egg drop" soup.

Back
Top Bottom