ISO Mushroom soup recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I have some really nice button mushrooms that HB found on sale the other day, and thought I'd make some mushroom soup. I also have some dried shitakes that I could add to it.

I thought I'd sautee onions and garlic in butter, add the mushrooms and continue cooking till they are browned a bit, then add flour to make a roux, thin with chicken stock and milk, and cook until thickened. Any suggestions as to method or seasoning?

You could use some tarragon or thyme to season it.
You could use some beef broth instead of chicken.
Also consider trying some sour cream for an added tang.

Just some ideas. Nothing wrong with your recipe.

What do you all think about the dried shitakes...should I re-hydrate some and add to the soup? I've never tasted them, so I don't know what the flavor is like.

Your recipe sounds wonderful. But I'd prepare it a bit differently. First, you can purchase truffle oil fairly cheeply if you look around. Saute you rshrooms in it to add a glorious, earthy flavor. Second. Before lightly browning the shrooms, cook, them with a lid on the pan to capture the well flavored steam that normally escapes into the air. Use that as part of the liquid stock to thin the roux. Then pour off the mushroom stock, add the butter, onions, and garlic to the pan and lightly brown. While they are browning, thin the roux with milk, the mushroom broth, and a bit of cream. After that, add the mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste. Your soup will come out very good.

This soup is even better when strong flavored mushrooms like portabella's are used.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Constance said:
What do you all think about the dried shitakes...should I re-hydrate some and add to the soup? I've never tasted them, so I don't know what the flavor is like.

oooh They're a great choice! They have great flavor. Not sure how to describe it other than it is kind of deep and woodsy.

Make sure you save the water that you rehydrate them with and pour that into your soup too. It's full of flavor!

:heart:
Z

You all are giving me some wonderful ideas. This is going to be fun. I like the idea of adding a bit of thyme. I have some dry sherry in the pantry, and I may add a swig...I'll take a swig first, to make sure it's OK. :cool:
I don't have any truffle oil, Weed, but I'll look for some next time I'm in a big grocery store. I like the method you recommended, and will use it. And I'm going to use some of the dried shitakes as well.

I don't have any cream...just 2% milk...what if I added a little cream cheese to richen it up a little?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom