"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 12-13-2006, 02:47 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

I just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions thus far. I have a few questions which I'll hopefully post later tonight.

-BWS :)

Old 12-14-2006, 10:09 AM   #22
Sous Chef

You should also do a search on the site for a bunch of other recipes.

Here is a link to a posting of my own tried & true recipe...
French Onion Soup - My Way

Stock isn't expensive to make, especially brown chicken stock. It just takes a good chunk of time. Basing soups off a good solid stock really does make the difference between a good soup and just another pot o'stuff.

Good Luck!

Old 12-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
just out of curiosity, does anyone else add extra onions halfway through the cooking?

I always do, it sort of gives the extra Oniony type of "Hit".

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:01 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
just out of curiosity, does anyone else add extra onions halfway through the cooking?

I always do, it sort of gives the extra Oniony type of "Hit".
Not me YT. I like the onions fully caramelized. For more oniony flavor, I use at least equal parts red onions to white onions.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:06 PM   #25
Sous Chef

I also prefer my onions well caramelized to a milk-chocolate color. I find red onions develop too much sweetness, so I use all yellow. For some acidity, my recipe includes 1-oz of good balsamic vinegar which also provides a bit of sweetness.

Lots of well caramelized onions and a good stock is definetly the heart of my onion soup. The extras certainly take it to another level, but are nowhere near as essential as properly cooked onions and a good stock.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:22 PM   #26
Executive Chef

I do the caramelisation part (is that even a word?) but I like to add finely chopped onions later for the oniony aroma as well, it packs more of a punch to me.
the way I can tell if it`s right is if I walk into my kitchen and it stinks of onion, I don`t get that if I don`t add raw onion to the soup.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:54 PM   #27
Head Chef

I don't have a recipe, just a kind of "that'll do" type approach. Finely sliced yellow onions (a kilo or so) fried in as much butter as the volume of onions requires. I always end up adding extra part-way through caramelising. Gently caramelise till the onions are a rich brown. This always takes longer than I want it to. When ready, I stir in a tiny amount of plain flour and then gradually add a bottle of white wine. Not economical but quicker than making stock and not as salty as an Oxo cube (sorry YT). Bring to a simmer and leave till you can't wait any longer. Serve with toasted French bread and lots of grated emmenthal or gruyere and black pepper. One bowl is so rich it does for the whole meal.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:01 PM   #28
Executive Chef

"lots of grated emmenthal or gruyere"

NOW yer cookin` with gas! :))))
I`ve never tried adding any booze of any sort to mine which is quite unusual as beer goes into plenty of things I cook.

cheerz for that :)

Old 12-14-2006, 03:03 PM   #29
Sous Chef

When we roast a chicken or a turkey I always save the carcass and make stock. We've got lots of chicken and turkey stock in the freezer. I also save the bones from beef roasts, lamb, and pork - brown them up nicely in the oven with carrots, celery, some herbs, and onions and make stock from them. It's easy to keep a supply of stock on hand if you just stash away bones, etc.

VeraBlue is right on - must have thyme in French Onion soup. I usually use chicken stock and white wine in mine. I also like a combination of onions, white, yellow, red, leeks, and shallots. Sometimes garlic. A trick I use is to toast some peppercorns and grind them into the soup. There's a real pop of flavor there. Hmmmmmmm- do I have enough onions???? This is sounding really good for dinner tonight.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:10 AM   #30
Head Chef

No creamy onion soup recipes? That's hard to believe. I guess I'm the one who makes it creamy. Your soup puts me in mind of the french dip sandwich thing.

Tags
None