ISO potato soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
My family is craving potato soup with a bacon flavor--perhaps a baked potato soup. Does anyone have a recipe for it?

Hmmm...no recipe really. I would just bake the potatoes and buzz them with some chicken broth or cream and toss in some bacon bits. Sounds lovely Dina, let us know what you come up with.

Cheesey Bacon potato soup:

16oz Velveeta cheese (1/2 a block), cubed
8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
1/2 package of bacon, crisped and crumbled
salt and pepper to taste
1tsp sugar

Take a stock pot, put in diced potatoes and just enough water to cover the tops of the potatoes (this is critical, don't put in too little or too much). Boil potatoes until good and soft, turn burner to low heat and slowly begin adding cubed cheese, stirring as you go until all the cheese is incorporated. Then add bacon, salt and pepper, and sugar. Cook on very low heat for another 20 minutes, then serve.
Tasted even better the next day!

Hmmm...no recipe really. I would just bake the potatoes and buzz them with some chicken broth or cream and toss in some bacon bits. Sounds lovely Dina, let us know what you come up with.

i think alix has it. my mil used to make it with evaporated milk. she boiled potatoe pieces in water, left water in and added the milk, butter , and bacon
(cooked of course) to the whole deal. lots of pepper, salt to taste and there u are.

babe:chef:

How simple! I never knew how few ingredients this soup needed. Thanks you all. I will certainly make this for dinner tonight.

I think you'll like this one:

A wonderful soup for days that you are a little under the weather (with a cold) or those cold winter or even rainy days.

Ingredients

6 lg. potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 lg. onion, chopped
3 14-oz. cans chicken broth with roasted garlic
1/4 C. butter
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1 C. whipping cream or half and half
1 C. or 1 4-oz. pkg. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 Tbs. chopped fresh chives
1 8-oz. container sour cream
additional shredded cheddar cheese
bacon, cooked, for sprinkling

Directions

Combine first 6 ingredients in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 8 hours, or until potato is tender. Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soup is slightly thickened. Stir in cream, cheese and chives. Top with sour cream, and sprinkle with bacon and cheddar cheese before serving.

I was just craving potato soup and almost posted a forum on it until i saw this....thanks for the recipes guys!

From All recipes..

• 12 slices bacon
  • 2/3 cup margarine
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 7 cups milk
  • 4 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 1 1/4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium heat until browned. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
  2. In a stock pot or Dutch oven, melt the margarine over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk, whisking constantly until thickened. Stir in potatoes and onions. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
  3. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Mix in bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted.

Here's my recipe. If you don't have leeks, just use a large onion instead of the medium. I usually leave out the cream cheese...it's up to you. The soup's pretty rich as it is.

CONNIE'S POTATO SOUP

Ingredients:
6 thick slices of bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 leeks, white part only, sliced thin
6 cloves garlic, minced
approx. 1/4 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
6 medium Yukon Gold or russet potatoes, peeled and chopped in bite-size pieces
2 tbl salt
white or black pepper to taste
2 tbl chopped Italian parsley
4 oz cream cheese, cubed (opt)

Directions:
Sweat chopped bacon slowly in a soup pot over medium heat. When it's beginning to crisp, add onions and cook a few minutes. Then add leeks and garlic, and continue to cook until vegies are tender. Add flour and turn heat up to med/high. Cook and stir a few minutes until flour browns a bit, then deglaze with the chicken broth. When soup begins to thicken, add milk, potatoes, Italian parsley, salt and pepper. Cook till potatoes are tender, re-season, then add cream cheese and stir till melted.

Back
Top Bottom