ISO really good TNT potato soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I need a recipe for a good potato soup.
Cannot have skin and cannot have anything like chives. Has to be seasonings that will dissolve and can be easily swallowed. Also, one that can be frozen in containers and heated in the microwave. And will keep at least for a weeks worth of lunches, all different containers, of course.
That easy enough for you??:LOL:
I've never made potato soup before, or I would not be asking. TIA

You forgot; must be able to ship well from TX to NW PA....
:)

OOOOO do I have the soup for you!
Here's what I use, but with changes.
Absolutely Ultimate Potato Soup - Allrecipes

1st, I use half and half, not cream
I dont like many chunks in mine, I use an immersion blender and get it smooth. The starch in turn thickens it, I use 4 TB butter, 2 TB flour. Otherwise it's glop.
I dont use cilantro, but double the dried tarragon.
I use twice the chicken broth, or again, it's glop.
I think thats it, if I think of something else I'll come back.
Otherwise, I LOVE it!!

OOOOO do I have the soup for you!
Here's what I use, but with changes.
Absolutely Ultimate Potato Soup - Allrecipes

1st, I use half and half, not cream
I dont like many chunks in mine, I use an immersion blender and get it smooth. The starch in turn thickens it, I use 4 TB butter, 2 TB flour. Otherwise it's glop.
I dont use cilantro, but double the dried tarragon.
I use twice the chicken broth, or again, it's glop.
I think thats it, if I think of something else I'll come back.
Otherwise, I LOVE it!!

I would have to use spices of some of this, celery and the garlic and definately no bacon, but, this looks really good! Thank you!!

Oh, texasgirl, I have a great potato soup recipe I've been making since 1964 that seems to fit your requirements. I developed it then and my family loves it. I'm not where I can get to the recipe right now. I'll make a note and post it for you tomorrow.

I thought that right after i sent it.... i recalled a few threads.
When i blend it the bacon disintegrates. I think simmering the cooked bacon helps that along. I made it for my DH's aunt once that had the same problem.
I guess I must really blend the crud out of it!!! i dont like chunks of anything in my potato soup.

mother in law soup

my mil used to make potato soup , cooked potatoes and added a can of evaporated milk to pot and lots of butter. mfl was a no spices etc guy. when i make it put onions , pepper, seasoned salt and whatever else takes my fancy.

i understand your need for smooth soup, this is a good one for those that cn eat the chunks..babe

Wish I'd known, TG. Just tossed a few cans (red & white label - won't mention the name - of cream of potato soup & cream of shrimp/shrimp bisque). Anyhew, here's a real easy Vichyssoise - potato/leek soup.

vichyssoise.htm

GREAT!! Thanks everyone. I will be attempting one of them Sunday for next weeks lunches. DH will be thanking you too. He's tired of cream of chicken, LOL

Katie's Potato Soup

Okay, texasgirl, here's the recipe I was talking about last night:

KATIE’S POTATO SOUP
(Serves 6)

2 cups finely chopped onions
2 Tbsp. butter
4 large russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced, about 1/8-inch
3 (16-oz.) cans beef broth or equivalent homemade
¾ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 cups milk, heated
2 Tbsp. butter, melted

Sauté onions in butter until soft but not brown. Add potatoes, broth, salt, and pepper. Cover; simmer gently for about 30 minutes. Check to see if potatoes are tender. They will have broken up quite a bit. If the potatoes are done, gently mash them with a potato masher until they are broken up but not smooth. Blend in milk and melted butter. Stir until combined. Heat soup until steamy. Serve. Note: If you want the soup to be less chunky, blend it in the pan using an immersion blender or blend it, in batches, in a blender. If using a blender, return the soup to the pan to reheat.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Katie! I use beef broth in my collard greens to give them that ham hock/bacon flavor - what a great way to get that flavor into potato soup!!!

Yep - I know what I'm making on Sunday now!

Back
Top Bottom