"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 01-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I, too would either roast winter grocery store tomatoes or use canned. My problem with canned tomato soup is that they have too high a carb count for my husband. Tomato soup shouldn't need sugar; don't get me wrong, I used tomato paste to thicken some sauces and chilies, but soup? In some cases you're better off heating some V8 and adding seasonings to taste. I use V8 as a shortcut for many tomato based recipes, especially in the winter.
Like what, Claire? I love the flavor of V8, or even tomato juice.

Now that you mention it, I bet it would make a great soup base for Gazpacho.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #12
Head Chef

Zhizara, I sometimes use V8 as the liquid for a pot roast, it's something my mother had always done when we were kids... It gives the gravy a beautiful flavor...

Old 01-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Zhizara, I sometimes use V8 as the liquid for a pot roast, it's something my mother had always done when we were kids... It gives the gravy a beautiful flavor...
Thanks. That's what I'm looking for. Sneaky tricks that WOW. I've added this one to my steno book that I keep near the computer just for little tips and tricks like this one. I'll try it soon.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love using V-8 juice as a base. Excellent flavor.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
Master Chef

V8 is also a great base for a midwestern style chili. As far as tomato flavor goes, if you want to get as close as possible to the flavor of fresh tomatoes, use canned whole tomatoes, tomato puree, and crushed tomato. Tomato Sauce, stewed tomatoes, many diced tomatoes, and tomato paste have other herbs and spices added to them.

I almost always used canned products in the winter time as the tomatoes are fully ripened, where the tomatoes from the store are pretty flavorless, unless you purchase the cherry or grape tomatoes. The canned San Marzano tomatoes taste very good, but are quite pricey.

If yo want a very creamy, French style tomato soup, I just posted a recipe that came out very good for me.

Good luck

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #16
Master Chef

To make tomato soup taste like real tomato , but use only fresh ingredients you will have to wait untill you have fresh ripe tomato. They have to be ripen on the plant. Not sure about growing season elswhere, not sure where you are, but here in MN, you'd have to wait till august, maybe even september. Roasting definetely helps, I would recomend to roast even in the summer, even the most ripen tomato.

Tags
recipe, soup

ISO robust "tomato flavor" tomato soup recipe? I,m looking for a tomato soup recipe which tastes like tomato but only made from fresh ingediants. Been trying for ages but cant seem to get that intense tomato flavour. I know that tomato paste is used in most recipes , but what did our ancestors use prior to canned tomato paste? 3 stars 1 reviews