"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

ISO Solyanka mit Sauerrahm - a Russian soup

Hi. When DH and I visited friends in Germany a few years ago, he had a delicious Russian vegetable soup in a restaurant; I'd like to find a recipe for it and make it for him. It was called Solyanka mit Sauerrahm (something with sour cream), according to our former exchange student. Does anyone have a recipe for this? CharlieD, I'm lookin' at you

Old 12-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Hi. When DH and I visited friends in Germany a few years ago, he had a delicious Russian vegetable soup in a restaurant; I'd like to find a recipe for it and make it for him. It was called Solyanka mit Sauerrahm (something with sour cream), according to our former exchange student. Does anyone have a recipe for this? CharlieD, I'm lookin' at you
Sounds more like a German take on a Russian meat and vegi soup.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Could be. I described it as our exchange student described it to us. Just hoping to find a recipe.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Is this the dish you are seeking? There are recipes for fish or vegetarian versions of the same.

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od...oup-Recipe.htm
Old 12-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
Master Chef

Solyanka

Enjoy.

P.S. If you have any questions please ask. I love Solyanka and this time of year it is perfect, on the cold night, heat of the soup and heat of the spices make you warm inside, the amount of meat and rice is perfect compensation for the second coarse. You will love it.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, CWS and Charlie! DH will love these
Old 12-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Master Chef

Please, for G-d's sake do not even think putting cabbage into Solyanka, big-big no-no. Also just like I am a big defender of the fact that Borscht is Ukrainian, the solyanka by the same token is absolutely Russian. The name "solyanka" has nothing to do with salt either, even though it does sound like Russian word for salt, in fact "solyanka" in this case comes from old Russian and means something that was put/assembled together, in this case bunch of different cold cuts, leftovers of different meats.

P.S. Even the picture is wrong. In the original recipe there are no carrots, or parsley/parsnip. That is why I suggest in my recipe to grate it so by the time you are done cooking you do not see them. I simply like my soups very thick. You can add celery, but I have to tell you the truth, in my 29 years of living in that country not only I have not seen celery, I never heard about it. Neither does it need bay leaves, sound to me like they are mixing two different soups together, or even 3.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
Master Chef

I just now realized that you said that soup was vegetable, hm, I have heard about the vegetarian version, but have never seen or tried it. The whole idea is the mounds of meat assembled together in this soup.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, Charlie. I'm not a big fan of cabbage anyway, so I figured I could leave it out. I'll give your recipe a try pretty soon. Sounds great and I appreciate the tips.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
Master Chef

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions. Here is something I use to add a good flavor to this soup. If you do make it and use it then skip the bell peppers and garlic.

Ajika TNT.

Tags
soup