ISO Solyanka mit Sauerrahm - a Russian soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Hi. When DH and I visited friends in Germany a few years ago, he had a delicious Russian vegetable soup in a restaurant; I'd like to find a recipe for it and make it for him. It was called Solyanka mit Sauerrahm (something with sour cream), according to our former exchange student. Does anyone have a recipe for this? CharlieD, I'm lookin' at you ;)

Hi. When DH and I visited friends in Germany a few years ago, he had a delicious Russian vegetable soup in a restaurant; I'd like to find a recipe for it and make it for him. It was called Solyanka mit Sauerrahm (something with sour cream), according to our former exchange student. Does anyone have a recipe for this? CharlieD, I'm lookin' at you ;)

Sounds more like a German take on a Russian meat and vegi soup.

Please, for G-d's sake do not even think putting cabbage into Solyanka, big-big no-no. Also just like I am a big defender of the fact that Borscht is Ukrainian, the solyanka by the same token is absolutely Russian. The name "solyanka" has nothing to do with salt either, even though it does sound like Russian word for salt, in fact "solyanka" in this case comes from old Russian and means something that was put/assembled together, in this case bunch of different cold cuts, leftovers of different meats.

P.S. Even the picture is wrong. In the original recipe there are no carrots, or parsley/parsnip. That is why I suggest in my recipe to grate it so by the time you are done cooking you do not see them. I simply like my soups very thick. You can add celery, but I have to tell you the truth, in my 29 years of living in that country not only I have not seen celery, I never heard about it. Neither does it need bay leaves, sound to me like they are mixing two different soups together, or even 3.

Last edited:
I just now realized that you said that soup was vegetable, hm, I have heard about the vegetarian version, but have never seen or tried it. The whole idea is the mounds of meat assembled together in this soup.

Thanks, Charlie. I'm not a big fan of cabbage anyway, so I figured I could leave it out. I'll give your recipe a try pretty soon. Sounds great and I appreciate the tips.

One more thing, you can do it without meat, use only cold cuts, sometimes in a pinch, if I need a quick soup I do that.

Back
Top Bottom