ISO spicey cabbage soup recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Home chef

Senior Cook
I had the cabbage soup at Cracker Barrel the other day and really liked it. Does anyone have a similar recipe??

Here's one I make often. I vary the vegetables according to what I'm in the mood for.

1 large cabbage
1-2 cans low fat chicken broth
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks celery with leaves, strung and chopped
4-5 cloves garlic, diced
8-10 baby carrots
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
¼ cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
salt & pepper

Clean outer leaves from cabbage, cut into quarters and remove core. Cut in 1-2

Last edited:
the rest of the recipe...

Clean outer leaves from cabbage, cut into quarters and remove core. Cut in 1-2” wedges, then cut wedges in half. Put all the vegetables in a large microwavable bowl, pour chicken broth over top, splash on olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Cook, turning cabbage with tongs, until all vegetables are crisp tender. Adjust seasoning.

Serve with crusty bread to mop up juices.

If you want the soup to be spicier, use a can of rotel tomatoes in place of or in addition to the regular ones. I don't do that, but I sometimes do add several splashes of Louisiana hot sauce. Or you could add a few red pepper flakes.

There is no meat in this recipe, but it's awfully good with some sliced polish sausage in it. If you can find Andouille, that would give you the spiced you're looking for. Don't bother to brown it first...the juices from the meat will flavor the cabbage.

*Note: you don't have do make this in the microwave...but it's easier to keep from over-cooking the cabbage if you do.

I like to dish up a bowl of this, top it with a slice of Velveeta, and run it back in the nuke until the cheese is melted.

I know it's been a while since my last post, especially in this thread. I have been SWAMPED real early with broth / stock orders. It's a good thing the cost of natural gas has gone down. I have had20 gallons of stock going non-stop for the past 2 months!!! I've been searching for a larger range top to put in the basement but I just can't bring myself to spend the $$$.

Anyways... I made the cabbage soup and made a few alterations. While it's not quite like Cracker Barrel, I think it's so much better. I've added fresh Polish sausage and waxy potatoes. I'll post the complete recipe soon. Keep in mind that the recipe will be for 3 gallons of complete stock.

Home chef said:
No such luck yet. Right now I'd be happy with any old cabbage soup recipe.

This was given to me by a woman who was born in Austria, it's called

Kohlminestrappue (Cabbage Soup)

3 pints stock (your guess is as good as mine, I think chicken?)
1-1/2 lb. Savoy cabbage
5 oz. bacon fat
4 oz. rice
1 onion
salt, pepper, marjoram
2 oz. grated Parmesan

Cut bacon fat into cubes; melt over a low flame. Add chopped onion and fry until golden brown. Shred cabbage finely. Scald with boiling water. Drain and add to onions together with stock. Season with salt, pepper and marjoram to taste. Add rice and simmer until rice and greens are tender. Serve with grated cheese on top.

Fraidy

FraidKnot said:
This was given to me by a woman who was born in Austria, it's called

Kohlminestrappue (Cabbage Soup)

3 pints stock (your guess is as good as mine, I think chicken?)
1-1/2 lb. Savoy cabbage
5 oz. bacon fat
4 oz. rice
1 onion
salt, pepper, marjoram
2 oz. grated Parmesan

Cut bacon fat into cubes; melt over a low flame. Add chopped onion and fry until golden brown. Shred cabbage finely. Scald with boiling water. Drain and add to onions together with stock. Season with salt, pepper and marjoram to taste. Add rice and simmer until rice and greens are tender. Serve with grated cheese on top.

Fraidy
I make one similar to this, but I add ground beef, and canned diced tomatoes-- (Cabbage Roll Soup) very good !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom